Reactions With Dilute Hydrochloric Acid

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of HBr through a reaction with NaBr and HCl. The speaker suggests that HBr would be a gas and denser than air due to its molar mass, but this is not the correct answer. The error is in the reaction, specifically with the use of diluted acid. The other alternative, Pb(NO3)2, would form PbCl2 and HNO3 with HCl, but not as a gas. The speaker's thinking is correct, but they cannot find reliable sources for these reactions.
A13235378
Homework Statement
In one of the exercises on inorganic reactions in my test, it consisted of marking the alternative in which a solid substance at 25 degrees Celsius reacted with diluted HCl and formed a gas denser than atmospheric air.
Relevant Equations
HCl + NaBr = NaCl + HBr
One of the alternatives was NaBr

My resolution was as follows:

NaBr + HCl forms NaCl and HBr

I researched and saw that HBr would be a gas and would be denser than air because its molar mass is greater.

However, the answer was not that.

My error is in which step?

In the reaction? What would be correct?

Furthermore, the other alternative presents the substance Pb(NO3)2

Reaction with HCl would form PbCl2 and HNO3, not forming gas.

Is my thinking correct?

I can't find reliable sources with these reactions made.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem is with the reaction and the _diluted_ acid.

Borek said:
Problem is with the reaction and the _diluted_ acid.
And how would the reaction be with the diluted acid?

There would be none.

Some quantities of HBr can be probably produced with concentrated HCl, but even that is not listed as a viable way of lab synthesis. It will be probably way too contaminated with just HCl.

1. What is the purpose of using dilute hydrochloric acid in reactions?

The purpose of using dilute hydrochloric acid in reactions is to provide a source of hydrogen ions (H+) which can react with other substances to form new compounds. It is commonly used in laboratory experiments and industrial processes.

2. How does dilute hydrochloric acid react with metals?

Dilute hydrochloric acid reacts with metals by producing hydrogen gas and a metal chloride. The hydrogen gas is released as bubbles and the metal chloride remains dissolved in the acid solution. This reaction is commonly used to test for the presence of certain metals in a substance.

3. Is dilute hydrochloric acid corrosive?

Yes, dilute hydrochloric acid is corrosive. It is a strong acid and can cause damage to skin, eyes, and other materials upon contact. It is important to handle it with caution and wear appropriate protective gear when working with it.

4. Can dilute hydrochloric acid be used for cleaning?

Yes, dilute hydrochloric acid can be used for cleaning certain materials. It is commonly used to remove mineral deposits, rust, and other tough stains. However, it should be used with caution as it can also damage certain materials and surfaces.

5. How does the concentration of dilute hydrochloric acid affect its reactivity?

The concentration of dilute hydrochloric acid affects its reactivity by determining the number of hydrogen ions available for reactions. A higher concentration of acid means there are more hydrogen ions present, making the acid more reactive. However, using a very concentrated acid can also be dangerous and should be handled with care.