Determining Legendre polynomials (Boas)

In summary, the Legendre Polynomials (LPs) are obtained through the general solution to Legendre's differential equation and the recursion relation for evaluating coefficients. However, when trying to evaluate them this way, the x term is present in the solution due to the divergence of the series with odd powers of x. It is necessary to disregard this term in order to obtain the correct solution.
benabean
I am having trouble evaluating the Legendre Polynomials (LPs). I can do it by Rodrigues' formula but I am trying to understand how they come about.

Basically I have been reading Mary L. Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, 3E. Ch.12 §2 Legendre Polynomials pg566.
In the text, she arrives at the LPs via the general solution to Legendre's differential equation and the recursion relation for evaluating coefficients. (I'd write out the formulas but apparently Latex is broken at the moment.) When I try to evaluate them by this method I cannot get the right answer;

a_0 series = series with even powers of x
a_1 series = series with odd powers of x
y = a_0y_1 + a_1y_2

For l=0, the a_1 series diverges but the a_0 series gives y=a_0
So we can write P_0(x) =1 where P is the Legendre Polynomial of the form P_l(x).

However, when I try this I get y=a_0[1] + a_1[x + O(x^3)], where O=order. ie. y=a_0 +a_1x.
Why do I have the x term? Is it because the a_1 series diverges, so I should just disregard it?

Apologies for the formatting. It is better seen if you have a copy of the book.

Any help would be appreciated
benabean.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember when solving the Legendre DE you always obtained two linearly independent solutions. One is a polynomial (finite) and the other one is an infinite series.

To me, it looks like you have solve it correctly where
y1=1 and y2= x + O(x^3)

Cheer! :biggrin:

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are widely used in various branches of mathematics and physics. They are named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and are defined by a recurrence relation.

2. What are the applications of Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have numerous applications in areas such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and numerical analysis. They are also used in solving differential equations and in approximating functions.

3. How do you determine Legendre polynomials?

The most common method of determining Legendre polynomials is by using the recurrence relation, which involves recursively solving for higher order polynomials using lower order ones. Another method is by using the Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization process.

4. What are the properties of Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have several important properties, including orthogonality, completeness, and recurrence relations. They also have a symmetric structure and can be written in terms of trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining Legendre polynomials?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using generating functions, power series expansions, and the Chebyshev-Gauss quadrature method. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain applications.