Determining Liters of ethane burned to convert H20 to steam

In summary, the heat of combustion of ethane is 373 kcal/mole and 60% of this is useful. To convert 50.0kg of water at 10.0C to steam at 100.0C, 0.1407 mol of ethane must be burned. This is equivalent to 3193680 L of ethane at standard temperature and pressure. However, the book has the volume at 315000 L, indicating a possible error in the calculation.
Moose100

Homework Statement

The Heat of combustion of Ethane is 373 kcal/mole. Assuming that 60% of the heat is useful , how many liters of ethane,, measured at standard temperature and pressure, must be burned to convert 50.0kg of water ar 10.0C to steam at 100.0C? One mole of a gas occupies 22.4 liters at precisely 0C and 1atm.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

Qburned=Q heat up

=mL + mcΔT

540g/C(50g)+ 50(1cal/gC)(100-10)
Q=31500 cal

n= Q/heat of combustion(60%)
n=0.1407mol

PV=nRT
V=0.1407mol(8314j/kmolK)(273K)/1atm

V=3193680 L

The book has it at 315000. Is there something wrong here? I feel like I am missing a term or left something out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated Qburned per 50 grams. Did you convert this to per 50 kg somewhere?

Why use PV=nRT when you're given 22.4 L/mol?

Ahh that's where the error comes from. I forgot that it is per mole

NascentOxygen said:
You calculated Qburned per 50 grams. Did you convert this to per 50 kg somewhere?
I did I believe. It should be in my note pad

What is the purpose of determining liters of ethane burned to convert H20 to steam?

The purpose of determining liters of ethane burned to convert H20 to steam is to accurately measure the amount of ethane needed to produce a certain amount of steam. This information is important in industries that use steam as a source of energy, such as power plants and manufacturing facilities.

What is the equation for converting ethane to steam?

The equation for converting ethane to steam is C2H6 + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O. This means that for every molecule of ethane burned, three molecules of oxygen are needed to produce two molecules of carbon dioxide and three molecules of water vapor.

How do you determine the number of liters of ethane burned?

To determine the number of liters of ethane burned, you need to know the initial volume of ethane, the number of moles of ethane, and the molar mass of ethane. Using these values, you can use the Ideal Gas Law (PV=nRT) to calculate the volume of ethane burned.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining liters of ethane burned?

The accuracy of determining liters of ethane burned can be affected by several factors, including the purity of the ethane, the temperature and pressure of the environment, and any potential leaks or losses of ethane during the conversion process.

What are some applications of determining liters of ethane burned to convert H20 to steam?

Some applications of determining liters of ethane burned to convert H20 to steam include calculating the energy efficiency of a system, ensuring the proper amount of ethane is used in industrial processes, and monitoring and reducing carbon emissions from ethane combustion.