Determining Maximum Force on Ball and Spring Load Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a mechanism involving a rotating tube attached to a motor which will stretch a spring and hit a ball on its way back. The motor specs are given, including torque, gear ratio, and size. The question is how to determine the maximum load rate of the spring and the force applied to the ball. The conversation also mentions considering dynamics and statics in the design. However, it is noted that the force on the ball will vary during contact and will depend on its elasticity and mass. Removing unnecessary information, such as solder terminals and insulation resistance, would make the conversation easier to read.
Twistx
I am trying to design a certain mechanism. It is basically a rotating tube(a DC motor is driving it) attached to a motor at one end. There is a spring attached to just about the midpoint of the rectangular tube. The tube will spin and start stretching the spring. once it reaches the other side, the motor will cut out and the force of the spring will rotate the tube back to its original position. The whole point is for the tube to hit a ball on its way back. If I have a certain motor with these specs:

· Torque @ Max Efficiency: 127 oz-in.@12VDC
· Torque @ Stall: 368 oz-in.@12VDC
· Gear train damage can occur if stalled (locked)
· .240” (6mm) Diameter Shaft
· No load current: 45mA
· No load current @ Max Efficiency: 95mA (12V)
· No load speed: 10 RPM
· No load speed @ Max Efficiency: 7.96 RPM
· Gear ratio: 300:1
· Motor size: 1.30"Dia. x 1.015"L
· Gear size: 1.45"Dia. x .985"L
· Shaft size: 0.24" (6mm) Dia. x 0.715"L
· Weight: 0.2813 lbs. (4.5 oz.)
· DC reversible motors
· Solder type terminal
· High torque construction
· Oil bearing design for long service life
· Insulation resistance: 10 MOhm
· Dielectric Strength: 300VDC

then how can I determine what the max load rate of the spring can be, as well as the amount of force the ball will be hit by? The rectangular tube is 10 inches by 1 inch by 1 inch and hollow on the inside. Thickness is about 1/16". It is made out of aluminum. I'm including a picture of what it looks like.. The spring will be mounted a little bit lower than the pivot point of the tube so that it will rotate the tube all the way around. I apologize for the crappy paint =) Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated =)

-TwistX

Attachments

• demo.jpg
    demo.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 416
Engineering news on Phys.org
Getting a lot of views but no responses... Initially I was going to treat this as a dynamics problem... But now I see it more as a statics problem since I'm focusing on stall torque. Overall, I do not want to damage the motor but I still want to place maximum force on the ball... I understand that the force of the spring can vary depending on the placement in reference to the pivot point and mounting point on the tube.

Twistx said:
Getting a lot of views but no responses... Initially I was going to treat this as a dynamics problem... But now I see it more as a statics problem since I'm focusing on stall torque. Overall, I do not want to damage the motor but I still want to place maximum force on the ball... I understand that the force of the spring can vary depending on the placement in reference to the pivot point and mounting point on the tube.

I'm not sure exactly what you're having trouble with.

Maximum load rate of the spring? You mean the rate of change of force on the spring while it's being loaded by the motor? I don't want to think too hard about that in case it's not what you're after.You can't determine the force on the ball from this. The force will vary during the contact time, and will depend on the elasticity and mass of the ball.

Do you want to maximize the speed of the ball? In that case you should maximize the impulse applied to it, not the force.

By the way, it'd make it easier for people to read if you removed unnecessary information like the solder terminals and insulation resistance.

1. What is a rotating tube and spring?

A rotating tube and spring is a mechanical device used to demonstrate the principles of rotational motion and simple harmonic motion. It consists of a tube attached to a central axis that rotates, with a spring attached to the axis and the inner walls of the tube.

2. How does a rotating tube and spring work?

The rotation of the tube causes the spring to stretch and compress, creating a back-and-forth motion along the length of the tube. This motion is called simple harmonic motion, and it follows the principles of Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is proportional to its displacement.

3. What are the applications of a rotating tube and spring?

A rotating tube and spring is commonly used in physics classrooms to demonstrate concepts such as rotational inertia, centripetal force, and simple harmonic motion. It can also be used in engineering and design to test the behavior of rotating systems and springs under different conditions.

4. How do you change the frequency of a rotating tube and spring?

The frequency of a rotating tube and spring can be changed by adjusting the speed of rotation or by changing the length and stiffness of the spring. Increasing the speed of rotation will increase the frequency, while increasing the length or stiffness of the spring will decrease the frequency.

5. Can a rotating tube and spring be used to generate electricity?

Yes, a rotating tube and spring can be used to generate electricity through electromagnetic induction. When the spring moves back and forth, it creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a current in a wire wrapped around the tube, generating electricity. This principle is used in some types of generators and alternators.