Determining Precisely Which Angles of a Triangle Are Congruent

In summary, the side-side-side axiom states that if two triangles have congruent sides, then they are also congruent in terms of their angles. In the given scenario, since side BC is congruent to side YZ and side AB is congruent to side XZ, it follows that angle A is congruent to angle X. This can be proven using geometry principles and does not need to be taken as an axiom.
Bashyboy
Hello,

Suppose that I have two triangles ##\bigtriangleup ABC## and ##\bigtriangleup XYZ## that are known to be congruent by the side-side-side axiom, from which it follows that the parts are also congruent, such as the angles. My question is, how do I determine which of the three angles of ##\bigtriangleup ABC## is congruent to ∠ A, for example? Visually, it is clear that ##\angle A \cong X##, but I am having difficulty justifying this? Do I perform isometries until the vertices align, and then I can infer precisely which angles of ##\bigtriangleup ABC## are congruent to ##\bigtriangleup ABC##?

congruent triangles.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello,

Suppose that I have two triangles ##\bigtriangleup ABC## and ##\bigtriangleup XYZ## that are known to be congruent by the side-side-side axiom,

I didn't know the side-side-side property was an axiom? It can definitely be proven! (Well, I suppose one could always make it an axiom, but I don't see the benefits in that).

Anyway, if side a and side b are congruent to side a' and side b', then the angle between ab is congruent to the angle between a'b'. This should answer your question.

Since you say you know that side BC, opposite to angle A is congruent to side YZ, opposite to angle X then it follows that angle A is congruent to angle X.

Related to Determining Precisely Which Angles of a Triangle Are Congruent

1. How do you determine if two angles in a triangle are congruent?

To determine if two angles in a triangle are congruent, you can use the angle-side-angle (ASA) postulate or the side-angle-side (SAS) postulate. This means that if two angles and the side between them are congruent to two angles and the side between them in another triangle, then the two triangles are congruent and the corresponding angles are congruent as well.

2. Can all three angles of a triangle be congruent?

No, all three angles of a triangle cannot be congruent. The sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. If all three angles were congruent, they would each have to be 60 degrees, making the sum of the angles 180 degrees. However, this means that the triangle would be an equilateral triangle, which would have all three sides congruent as well.

3. Is it possible for two angles in a triangle to be congruent but not all three?

Yes, it is possible for two angles in a triangle to be congruent but not all three. This is known as an isosceles triangle, where two sides of the triangle are congruent and the angles opposite those sides are also congruent. The third angle in an isosceles triangle will be different from the other two angles.

4. Are there any shortcuts or formulas to determine congruent angles in a triangle?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts and formulas that can help determine congruent angles in a triangle. One is the exterior angle theorem, which states that the measure of an exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the measures of the two remote interior angles. Another is the congruence shortcut, where if two sides of a triangle are congruent, then the angles opposite those sides are also congruent.

5. Can congruent angles in a triangle be used to prove congruent triangles?

Yes, congruent angles in a triangle can be used to prove congruent triangles. This is because if two angles in one triangle are congruent to two angles in another triangle, then the third angle must also be congruent. This means that all three angles in the two triangles are congruent, making the triangles themselves congruent.