Show that AN=1 cm using the knowledge of equiangular triangles.

In summary, you used the method of congruent triangles to determine that the triangles AMN & BMC are equiangular.
mathlearn
I need help with the fourth part of this series of the questions,

k15j47.jpg

Here's the copied figure

View attachment 5968

ii.
AM=MB (M midpoint)
NAM=MBP($90^\circ$)
AMN=BMP(vertically opposite)

$\therefore \triangle AMN \cong \triangle BMP \left(AAS\right)$iii.MN=MP (triangle AMN & triangle BMP congruent)
MC=MC (Common side)
NMC=CMP(Data)

$\triangle CMN \cong \triangle MCP \left(SAS\right)$

$\therefore \angle BCM= \angle MCN $

Now how are the triangles AMN & BMC equiangular ? One pair of equal angles would be

$\angle NAM$= $\angle MBC (90^\circ)$

Now what are the other two angles & what are the reasons for their equality ? (Thinking) (Smile)

Attachments

• mathlearn.jpg
    mathlearn.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: $\angle{AMN}+\angle{BMC}=90^\circ$

greg1313 said:
Hint: $\angle{AMN}+\angle{BMC}=90^\circ$

(Yes) Thanks,

$\angle{BMC}=90^\circ - \angle{AMN}$

I am not still seeing why they are equiangular. (Sweating)

mathlearn said:
I need help with the fourth part of this series of the questions...

Please upload images here as inline attachments rather than to some image hosting site. Those image hosting sites don't work very well, and some of us (like me) simply cannot see them.

When I come across these "invisible" images, then I have to follow the link to the image, download the image to my hard drive, resize/crop/rotate the image in many cases, save the image and then upload the image as an inline attachment so that everyone can see it.

While it is your prerogative to use spoiler tags, I don't see why you would hide an image that's part of the problem statement. Typically the spoiler tag is used to hide something that might give away a hint or solution that others may not wish to see before attempting a problem. :)

MarkFL said:
Please upload images here as inline attachments rather than to some image hosting site. Those image hosting sites don't work very well, and some of us (like me) simply cannot see them.

When I come across these "invisible" images, then I have to follow the link to the image, download the image to my hard drive, resize/crop/rotate the image in many cases, save the image and then upload the image as an inline attachment so that everyone can see it.

While it is your prerogative to use spoiler tags, I don't see why you would hide an image that's part of the problem statement. Typically the spoiler tag is used to hide something that might give away a hint or solution that others may not wish to see before attempting a problem. :)

My apologies for the inconvenience caused (Doh). I will keep that in mind (Smile), Now I guess it's time to get back to the math (Smile)

Well, part of being a staff member is doing things like this, and I really only meant my request to be considered for future posting only...and certainly not as an accusation of deliberately causing an inconvenience.

Another advantage of uploading attachments rather than linking to other sites is that those other sites may disappear or otherwise remove such images periodically as part of their routine housecleaning, and then that would leave us with threads that no longer have their accompanying images.

And yes...back to the important stuff...the math. :D

What is the measure of $\angle{MAN}$?

greg1313 said:
What is the measure of $\angle{MAN}$?

measure of $\angle{MAN}=90^\circ$ (Smile)

Some remarks on (iv) and (v):

(iv)

$$\angle{AMN}+\angle{CMB}=90^\circ$$

$$\angle{AMN}+\angle{ANM}=90^\circ\quad\text{(angles of a triangle sum to }180^\circ\text{)}$$

$$\implies\angle{CMB}=\angle{ANM}\text{ hence }\triangle{AMN}\sim\triangle{BCM}$$

(v)

$$\overline{AN}=\overline{BP}=1$$

$$\overline{CN}=\overline{CP}=5\quad\text{(}\triangle{CNP}\text{ is isosceles)}$$

greg1313 said:
Some remarks on (iv) and (v):

(iv)

$$\angle{AMN}+\angle{CMB}=90^\circ$$

$$\angle{AMN}+\angle{ANM}=90^\circ\quad\text{(angles of a triangle sum to }180^\circ\text{)}$$

$$\implies\angle{CMB}=\angle{ANM}\text{ hence }\triangle{AMN}\sim\triangle{BCM}$$

(v)

$$\overline{AN}=\overline{BP}=1$$

$$\overline{CN}=\overline{CP}=5\quad\text{(}\triangle{CNP}\text{ is isosceles)}$$

Now both the triangles are equiangular! (Happy) Because one angle is 90 in both , & the other pair of equiangular angles are CMB & ANM.

(Smile) Thank you very much , If there's any name for the method that you have used in iv, May I please have the name? (Wasntme)

1. How do you prove that AN=1 cm using the knowledge of equiangular triangles?

In order to prove that AN=1 cm using the knowledge of equiangular triangles, we must first understand the concept of equiangular triangles. Equiangular triangles have three equal angles, meaning they are all congruent. This also means that their corresponding sides are in proportion. In order to show that AN=1 cm, we can use the concept of corresponding sides to compare the length of AN to the side length of another equiangular triangle with a known side length of 1 cm.

2. Can you provide an example of how to use equiangular triangles to show that AN=1 cm?

Sure, let's say we have two equiangular triangles, ABC and DEF. We know that angle A is congruent to angle D, angle B is congruent to angle E, and angle C is congruent to angle F. Additionally, we know that side AB is equal to side DE, side BC is equal to side EF, and side AC is equal to side DF. Using the concept of corresponding sides, we can say that AN is proportional to the side length of 1 cm in triangle DEF. Therefore, AN must also be equal to 1 cm.

3. What other properties of equiangular triangles can be used to prove that AN=1 cm?

In addition to the concept of corresponding sides, we can also use the fact that the sum of the angles in an equiangular triangle is always 180 degrees. This means that if we know the measure of one angle, we can find the measures of the other two angles. We can then use these angle measures to show that the sides of the triangle are in proportion, and therefore AN must be equal to 1 cm.

4. Are there any real-world applications of using equiangular triangles to prove lengths?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using equiangular triangles to prove lengths. For example, architects and engineers often use the concept of equiangular triangles when designing structures such as bridges and buildings. By understanding the properties of equiangular triangles, they can ensure that their designs are stable and structurally sound.

5. Can equiangular triangles be used to prove lengths in non-right triangles?

Yes, equiangular triangles can be used to prove lengths in non-right triangles. Unlike right triangles, which have one angle that is always 90 degrees, equiangular triangles can have any angle measure as long as all three angles are congruent. Therefore, the concept of corresponding sides and the sum of the angles can still be used to prove lengths in non-right equiangular triangles.