Determining pressure in the pot.

• Thread starter Micko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: Vapor Pressure will be at its highest at boiling point. After boiling point, the pressure will increase incrementally.
Micko

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out if and how pressure in the closed pot, half full of water is going to change if pot is placed on the cooker and continuously heated.

Homework Equations

p*V=R*T for ideal gas

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the following will occur:
First there would be an increase in water temperature until boiling point 100C (I'm assuming outside pressure is 1 atm). After water starts boiling temperature will not change until all water vaporize. Also during heating water will slightly exapand, but pressure inside the closed pot will reamain the same.
Now, after all water is turned to vapor, further heating will cause temperature to start rising (superheated vapor). Vapor will expand and pressure is still the same. But since pot is closed further adding of heat will cause pressure inside the pot to start rising (pot's volume is constant)?
Am I right here?

Can you explain me at which point pressure inside the pot will start rising?

Thank you in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure will rise continually.
As the water boils more gas is created, the volume of the water goes down slightly, but the extra gas will create more pressure. As the water is boiling the temperature of the stream won't increase very much because most of the energy is going into the water.
Once all the water is boiled then it becomes a gas law problem the volume is fixed, so if you keep heating the steam pressure wil rise.

If you need a more detailed answer you will have to look at steam tables for the vapour pressure at each point.

Thanks, but want to be sure about one thing, and that is about point where pressure will start to increase. I think that pressure will start rising only after water starts boiling. Am I right there?
Is it OK to look at equation of ideal gas, because water vapor can be approximated by ideal gas in some cases?

P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2

Volume is constant so P1/T1=P2/T2

Even before it boils there will be vapour produced.

Related to Determining pressure in the pot.

1. What is pressure in the pot?

Pressure in the pot refers to the amount of force being exerted on the walls of a sealed container, typically a cooking pot, by the steam and air inside.

2. How is pressure in the pot determined?

Pressure in the pot can be determined by using a pressure gauge or by measuring the amount of weight being held down by the pressure in the pot.

3. Why is it important to determine pressure in the pot?

Determining pressure in the pot is important for cooking as it can affect the cooking time and results of certain dishes. It is also important for safety reasons, as too much pressure in the pot can cause it to explode.

4. What factors can affect the pressure in the pot?

The main factors that can affect pressure in the pot are temperature, volume of liquid, and type of pot or pressure cooker being used.

5. How can pressure in the pot be adjusted?

Pressure in the pot can be adjusted by controlling the heat source and releasing steam through a pressure release valve. Cooking at a lower temperature and adding more liquid can also help lower the pressure in the pot.