Determining speed at an angle using an energy balance

In summary: A useful thing to remember is that for vertical circular motion like this, or for a pendulum, we have:$$h = R(1- \cos \theta)$$Where ##h## is the height above the lowest point.Note that it works all the way round. At the top of the swing ##\theta = 180## degrees and, as expected, we have:$$h = R(1 - (-1)) = 2R$$This formula comes up frequently. Even if you don't memorise it, it's useful to recognise it when you see it.Note that in this case ##\sin(45) = \cos(45)##
BiggestAfrica
Homework Statement
A 4.1 kg ball is spun on a thin cord in a vertical circle having 4.12 m radius. It has a speed of 17.5 m/s at the highest point of the circle. Take zero potential energy at the lowest point and use the 45 degree angle measured with respect to the vertical as shown. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

Calculate the speed of the ball at angle 45 degrees.
Relevant Equations
Ko = Kf + Uf
.5(m)(vo^2) = (.5)(m)(vf^2) + mgh
I first found the height of the ball after it's passed the 45 degree angle by doing 4.12*sin(45) = 2.9133, and plugged in the rest of the variables (masses cancel)

.5(m)(vo^2) = (.5)(m)(vf^2) + mgh
(17.5^2)(.5) = (.5)(vf^2)(9.8*2.9133)
vf = 15.7845, however this is incorrect

I don't understand where I'm going wrong, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_6.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is a smaller speed than it started with. Do things normally speed up or slow down as they fall?

What does your calculation ##4.12 \sin(45)m## physically represent?

PeroK said:
Your answer is a smaller speed than it started with. Do things normally speed up or slow down as they fall?

What does your calculation ##4.12 \sin(45)m## physically represent?

Things generally speed up, and the calculation represents the height of the ball. I also realized that there should be initial potential energy (since height is 8.24 at the initial velocity of 17.5), so I calculated the final velocity while taking initial potential energy into account, and got an incorrect velocity of 20.2646m/s (although it is now greater than 17.5).

BiggestAfrica said:
Things generally speed up, and the calculation represents the height of the ball.
Are you sure? Why don't you mark the height of the ball on your diagram. In what way is that ##4.12 \sin(45)m##?

Likes BiggestAfrica
PeroK said:
Are you sure? Why don't you mark the height of the ball on your diagram. In what way is that ##4.12 \sin(45)m##?

I figured it out, thanks! Mass was never used in the calculation, but I was using the wrong height for my calculations, using the height of the triangle itself rather than subtracting the height of the triangle from the radius (4.12 - 2.1933 = 1.2067).

e.png

BiggestAfrica said:
I figured it out, thanks! Mass was never used in the calculation, but I was using the wrong height for my calculations, using the height of the triangle itself rather than subtracting the height of the triangle from the radius (4.12 - 2.1933 = 1.2067).

View attachment 257123
A useful thing to remember is that for vertical circular motion like this, or for a pendulum, we have:
$$h = R(1- \cos \theta)$$
Where ##h## is the height above the lowest point.

Note that it works all the way round. At the top of the swing ##\theta = 180## degrees and, as expected, we have:
$$h = R(1 - (-1)) = 2R$$
This formula comes up frequently. Even if you don't memorise it, it's useful to recognise it when you see it.

Note that in this case ##\sin(45) = \cos(45)## so if that was an error on your part it didn't matter! But, it really should have been ##\cos(45)##.

Likes BiggestAfrica

1. What is "Determining speed at an angle using an energy balance"?

"Determining speed at an angle using an energy balance" is a scientific method used to calculate the speed of an object that is moving at an angle, by taking into account the object's kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. Why is it important to determine speed at an angle?

Determining speed at an angle is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and sports. It allows us to accurately predict the motion of objects and understand the forces acting on them.

3. What factors are taken into consideration in this method?

This method takes into consideration the object's mass, initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity and air resistance.

4. How is this method different from calculating speed in a straight line?

When calculating speed in a straight line, we only need to consider the object's mass and velocity. However, when using an energy balance to determine speed at an angle, we also need to take into account the angle of launch and the effects of gravity and air resistance.

5. Can this method be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of motion as long as the object is moving at an angle and the factors mentioned above are taken into consideration.