Determining speed of electron in a parallel plate capacitor

In summary, an electron released from rest at the negative plate will have a final speed of 2.1 x 106 m/s.
mitchy16

Homework Statement

A proton is released from rest at the positive plate of a parallel plate capacitor. It crosses the capacitor and reaches the negative plate with a speed of 50,000 m/s. What will be the final speed of an electron released from rest at the negative plate?

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2 mv^2
U= qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy, the left side is the proton and right side is the electron:
KE1 + U1 = KE2 + U2
1/2mv^2 + qV = 1/2mv^2 + qV
I do not understand what to plug in for V? I have tried searching for similar threads but I can't find a similar one. Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mitchy16 said:

Homework Statement

A proton is released from rest at the positive plate of a parallel plate capacitor. It crosses the capacitor and reaches the negative plate with a speed of 50,000 m/s. What will be the final speed of an electron released from rest at the negative plate?

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2 mv^2
U= qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using conservation of energy, the left side is the proton and right side is the electron:
KE1 + U1 = KE2 + U2
1/2mv^2 + qV = 1/2mv^2 + qV
I do not understand what to plug in for V? I have tried searching for similar threads but I can't find a similar one. Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.
Your equation works for ANY value of V! Tell you anything?

First your equation has a small (or is it big, can't tell if it is a typo(or not familiar with ##TeX##) or you misunderstood the whole thing) error, in the left hand side in the KE term you should have put the mass of proton ##m_p## while in the respective term in the right hand side the mass of electron ##m_e##. Also the same holds for the velocities in the KE terms.

Second and most important, though your equation might be true (at the ...very end of the day) I don't think you got it by applying conservation of energy in a proper manner.

You have to apply conservation of energy for the proton first, at initial position in the positive plate and at final position in the negative plate and get one equation (1).
Then apply it again for the electron with initial position at the negative plate and final position at the positive plate and get a second equation (2).

By combining equation (1) and (2) you ll get the equation you write at your initial post.

so your final equation should be

##\frac{1}{2}m_pv_p^2=\frac{1}{2}m_ev_e^2##

(we can omit the qV terms since ##q_p=-q_e## and because the particles start in vice versa positions regarding the plates of capacitor).

You have been given ##v_p=50km/s##. Have you been given the values for the masses or the ratio of masses ##\frac{m_p}{m_e}##?

Last edited:
Likes mitchy16
Delta² said:
First your equation has a small (or is it big, can't tell if it is a typo(or not familiar with ##TeX##) or you misunderstood the whole thing) error, in the left hand side in the KE term you should have put the mass of proton ##m_p## while in the respective term in the right hand side the mass of electron ##m_e##. Also the same holds for the velocities in the KE terms.

Second and most important, though your equation might be true (at the ...very end of the day) I don't think you got it by applying conservation of energy in a proper manner.

You have to apply conservation of energy for the proton first, at initial position in the positive plate and at final position in the negative plate and get one equation (1).
Then apply it again for the electron with initial position at the negative plate and final position at the positive plate and get a second equation (2).

By combining equation (1) and (2) you ll get the equation you write at your initial post.

so your final equation should be

##\frac{1}{2}m_pv_p^2=\frac{1}{2}m_ev_e^2##

(we can omit the qV terms since ##q_p=-q_e## and because the particles start in vice versa positions regarding the plates of capacitor).

You have been given ##v_p=50km/s##. Have you been given the values for the masses or the ratio of masses ##\frac{m_p}{m_e}##?
Yes! The mass is given in a formula sheet. I understand my mistake, thank you! I re-did the question and got 2.1 x 106 which is the correct answer.

Likes Delta2

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device used to store electric charge between two parallel conducting plates. It consists of two conductors separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two plates, which causes the accumulation of electric charge on each plate. This charge can then be used to power electrical devices.

3. How do you determine the speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor?

The speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor can be determined using the equation v = Ed, where v is the speed of the electron, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the plates. This equation is based on the fact that the electric field accelerates the electron as it moves from one plate to the other.

4. What factors affect the speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor?

The speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the plates, and the charge on the plates. It is also influenced by the properties of the dielectric material between the plates and any external factors, such as temperature or external electric fields.

5. How can the speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor be measured?

The speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor can be measured using various methods, such as using a voltmeter to measure the voltage across the plates, a multimeter to measure the current flowing through the capacitor, or an oscilloscope to measure the time it takes for an electron to travel between the plates. These measurements can then be used in the equation v = Ed to calculate the speed of the electron.