Determining tension in strings

In summary, to calculate the tension in the first string (T1), you can use the equations w = m|g|, wx = w cos θw, wy = w sin θw, T1x = T1 cos θT1, T1y = T1 sin θT1, T2x = T2 cos θT2, T2y = T2 sin θT2, and the sum of forces in the x and y directions. By drawing a free body diagram and using these equations, you can solve for T1.
connie5828

Homework Statement

An object of mass 100kg is hanging from a ceiling by means of 2 strings. The 1st string (t1) makes an angle of 55 degree with the horizontal-right. The scond string 9T-2) makes an angle of 25 degree with horizontal left. Calculate tension in the first string (T1)

Homework Equations

w = m|g|

wx = w cos θw

wy = w sin θw =

T1x = T1 cos θT1 =

T1y = T1 sin θT1 =

T2x = T2 cos θT2 =

T2y = T2 sin θT2 =

T1x + T2x + wx =

T1 =

T1y + T2y + wy =

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on this question. i have tried plugging in for the equations and none of the answers I have come up with are close to any of the choices. My professor is no help. Someone please explain this to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a free body diagram of the forces acting on the block. Then, sum the forces in the x and y directions. You should have two expressions with which you can solve for T1.

Related to Determining tension in strings

What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string is affected by the mass of the object attached to the string, the length of the string, and the force applied to the string.

How is tension measured in a string?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds.

What happens to the tension in a string when the length is increased?

As the length of a string is increased, the tension decreases. This is because the weight of the object is spread over a larger distance, reducing the force applied to the string.

How does the mass of an object affect the tension in a string?

The greater the mass of an object attached to a string, the greater the tension in the string. This is because the weight of the object exerts a greater force on the string.

What is the relationship between tension and frequency in a vibrating string?

The tension in a string is directly proportional to the frequency of its vibrations. This means that as tension increases, so does the frequency of the string's vibrations.