Determining the coefficient of viscosity of water (Graph Problem)

In summary, the conversation was about an experiment to determine the coefficient of viscosity for water using capillary flow. Part of the experiment involved producing a graph of Q against h, which was supposed to be linear and pass through the origin. However, the graph did not go through the origin and there was a question about how to handle this. After discussing the data and calculations, it was determined that the best-fit-line for the graph did not pass through the origin and there may have been experimental errors contributing to the discrepancy. It was suggested to check for factors such as the hydrodynamic entrance effect and to improve technique to reduce scatter in the data. Overall, the conversation ended with the acknowledgement that there may still be a significant percentage error in the final
WhiteWolf98

Homework Statement

So, the question is based around an experiment to determine the coefficient of viscosity for water (by capillary flow).
Part of the experiment involved producing a graph of Q against h. This graph is supposed to be linear, and is supposed to pass through the origin.
As can be the seen in the equation, the gradient of the graph is supposed to be used in the calculation. The problem is my graph doesn't go through the origin, so I was wondering what to do about it. Thanks

Homework Equations

η=ρgπr^4/8l*1/slope

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
WhiteWolf98 said:
my graph doesn't go through the origin
Can you post the data in cut-and-pastable form? Failing that, can you post the graph?

IMG_20180405_132604.jpg

The Results

e8709124e4fff0bb036b77d7516a1256.png

The Graph

2c1fb590a8442ed690feedacca2af115.png

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_132604.jpg
    IMG_20180405_132604.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 2,378
  • e8709124e4fff0bb036b77d7516a1256.png
    e8709124e4fff0bb036b77d7516a1256.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 2c1fb590a8442ed690feedacca2af115.png
    2c1fb590a8442ed690feedacca2af115.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,220
I plotted the data of h vs Q, and did a straight line fit to the data. It seems to me the straight line fit passes very close to the origin.

Likes Charles Link
Oh yeah, well, it cuts the y-axis at 8×10^-7. It is very, very close, but I was wondering if that had any effect on the value I obtain for the coefficient of viscosity because the value I calculated was very far off from the actual value

WhiteWolf98 said:
Oh yeah, well, it cuts the y-axis at 8×10^-7. It is very, very close, but I was wondering if that had any effect on the value I obtain for the coefficient of viscosity because the value I calculated was very far off from the actual value
You didn't really expect it to pass exactly through the origin, did you.

Let's see your calculation.

Likes Charles Link
Uhm, maybe I did, oops. Ehehe

Calculation:
ρ=10^3
g=9.81
r=0.65×10^-3
L=15.5×10^-2

Hence, overall calculation is:

η=[(10^3×9.81×π×(0.65×10^-3)^4)/8(15.5×10^-2)]×1/1×10^-7=0.0444 Pa⋅s (to 3 s.f.)

From your data, I get a viscosity of 0.0018 Pa.s

Likes WhiteWolf98
Could you show me the calculation please?

It looks like your curve fit is way off. I get a curve fit of: ##y=-2.38\times 10^{-8}+2.233\times 10^{-6}x##

Likes WhiteWolf98 and Charles Link
WhiteWolf98 said:
it cuts the y-axis at 8×10^-7
It cuts the y-axis of the graph you posted at that value, but that axis is not at x=0.

Likes WhiteWolf98, Charles Link and Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
It looks like your curve fit is way off. I get a curve fit of: ##y=-2.38\times 10^{-8}+2.233\times 10^{-6}x##
Edit: I agree.

Alrighty! So first of all, apologies for the late reply. I took your points into consideration, and decided just to draw the graph by hand. Using that graph, I managed to obtain a value for the coefficient of viscosity as ##2.06 × 10^{-3} Pa⋅s##. The actual value is ##8.90 × 10^{−4} Pa·s## according to this source. That's still over a 100% percentage error though; is that really the best I can do? Thank you all for your help!

WhiteWolf98 said:
Alrighty! So first of all, apologies for the late reply. I took your points into consideration, and decided just to draw the graph by hand. Using that graph, I managed to obtain a value for the coefficient of viscosity as ##2.06 × 10^{-3} Pa⋅s##. The actual value is ##8.90 × 10^{−4} Pa·s## according to this source. That's still over a 100% percentage error though; is that really the best I can do? Thank you all for your help!
It's hard to say without seeing in person the actual experimental procedure being performed, and the apparatus. There are other things you might look at like the hydrodynamic entrance effect (probably not important). This could be ascertained by varying the length of the tube. Also, there seems to be a lot of scatter in the data, and this might be improved by better technique.

Likes Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
It's hard to say without seeing in person the actual experimental procedure being performed, and the apparatus. There are other things you might look at like the hydrodynamic entrance effect (probably not important). This could be ascertained by varying the length of the tube. Also, there seems to be a lot of scatter in the data, and this might be improved by better technique.

Understood, guess that's finally sorted; and somehow, my line of best fit for my hand-drawn graph went exactly through the origin. Thank you Chestermiller, and everyone else for your input in solving this. Have a good day

WhiteWolf98 said:
Understood, guess that's finally sorted; and somehow, my line of best fit for my hand-drawn graph went exactly through the origin. Thank you Chestermiller, and everyone else for your input in solving this. Have a good day

I would be suspicious of a best-fit-line that goes exactly through the origin. The chance of that happening is essentially zero, because there are always experimental errors (random or otherwlse) in any real experiment, and that will almost always give you a line that does not pass exactly through (0,0). However, if the errors are truly random (and "statistically independent) there are statistical tests you can perform to check if the true (unknown and unobservable) intercept could really be zero. That is different saying that any particular best-fit-line goes through (0,0).

WhiteWolf98 said:
That's still over a 100% percentage error though
Take a look at your relevant equation. Can you see a parameter to which the result will be highly sensitive? How accurately is that parameter known in your experiment?

1. What is the coefficient of viscosity?

The coefficient of viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid to flow. It represents the internal friction between molecules in a fluid and is also known as the dynamic viscosity.

2. Why is it important to determine the coefficient of viscosity of water?

Knowing the coefficient of viscosity of water is important in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and meteorology. It allows for the calculation of fluid flow rates and pressure drops, as well as understanding the behavior of fluids in different applications.

3. How is the coefficient of viscosity of water determined?

The coefficient of viscosity of water can be determined through various methods, but the most common one is by measuring the flow rate of a fluid through a capillary tube at different pressures. This data is then used to plot a graph and calculate the coefficient of viscosity using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation.

4. What are the units of the coefficient of viscosity?

The coefficient of viscosity is typically measured in units of pascal-seconds (Pa·s) in the SI system. However, it can also be expressed in other units such as poise (P) or centipoise (cP).

5. How does temperature affect the coefficient of viscosity of water?

The coefficient of viscosity of water decreases as temperature increases. This is because as temperature increases, the molecules in water gain more energy and move more freely, resulting in a lower internal friction and thus a lower coefficient of viscosity.