Determining the energy released by a flame

In summary, The OP has found that water can be used to find the amount of heat energy released by something, but the experiment he wants to run would take about two weeks to complete. He knows the temperature of the heat source and surrounding air, so he is unsure if this is a viable solution.
AamsterC2
I've found a lot about using water to find the amount of heat released by something but the experiment I want to run would take about two weeks to complete so that's probably not a viable solution for me. I know what the temperature will be and that it will remain mostly constant, is there anyway to find the amount of heat energy released if I know the temperature of the heat source and surrounding air? The heat source for this experiment is a compost pile (1 cubic meter), I know that the inside of the pile will reach approximately 50C for 2 weeks or so. Right now it's winter so the temperature will stay around 0C (average). The thermal conductivity of compost can vary greatly but in this case an average that would apply is 0.3 W/m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AamsterC2 said:
I've found a lot about using water to find the amount of heat released by something but the experiment I want to run would take about two weeks to complete so that's probably not a viable solution for me. I know what the temperature will be and that it will remain mostly constant, is there anyway to find the amount of heat energy released if I know the temperature of the heat source and surrounding air?
This seems to me to be an utterly ambiguous problem statement. For example, is the heat source radiating into a space the size of a breadbox or a space the size of Yankee Stadium? Do you think it matters?

phinds said:
This seems to me to be an utterly ambiguous problem statement. For example, is the heat source radiating into a space the size of a breadbox or a space the size of Yankee Stadium? Do you think it matters?
For this no, it will be in an open area so there won't be any build up of heat around it

AamsterC2 said:
For this no, it will be in an open area so there won't be any build up of heat around it
And do you think that fact now makes the problem statement fully explicated?

phinds said:
And do you think that fact now makes the problem statement fully explicated?
Well as I said I am unaware of anyway to solve this problem other than using the heat source to raise the temperature of water which I don't see as being viable in this situation, I do not know what kind of information would be needed to solve a problem like this but I could more than likely provide it if you know of some sort of equation for it or some other way to test how much energy is produced

Last edited:
I'm assuming that considering the shape to be a half sphere for simplicities sake you could then solve it by treating it as a conduction problem and solving with Fourier's law where the outer section at a cooler temperature would be considered the wall blocking heat flow

AamsterC2 said:
you could then solve it

You seem to think solving it is our responsibility. It isn't.

And even if it were, it's so vague that it's unanswerable. If you want help, I'd take Phinds' advice and write a complete description of the problem.

Vanadium 50 said:
You seem to think solving it is our responsibility. It isn't.

And even if it were, it's so vague that it's unanswerable. If you want help, I'd take Phinds' advice and write a complete description of the problem.
I apologize if it sound as if I wanted you to solve it for me, I'm not that incapable and was using not trying to imply somebody should solve it for me simply that you, I, or anyone else could then possibly solve a problem like this by applying Fourier's Law. I do not know if that is the correct way to go about this though which is why I'm asking how it should be done

AamsterC2 said:
The heat source for this experiment is a compost pile (1 cubic meter), I know that the inside of the pile will reach approximately 50C for 2 weeks or so. Right now it's winter so the temperature will stay around 0C (average). The thermal conductivity of compost can vary greatly but in this case an average that would apply is 0.3 W/m
What else do you need to know?

Bystander said:
What else do you need to know?

The OP has edited his post. Originally none of this information was there. Now we all look stupid for asking. Well done, AamsterC2! You made all the people capable of helping you look like jerks! I guess we will see if it is an effective strategy.

@AamsterC2, it's very bad form to go back and edit a post that people have responded to. You should instead just add the information in a NEW post to avoid confusion. You can even, if you wish, quote your own post into a new post but edit it, prefacing it with a note that you have amended it for clarity.

phinds said:
@AamsterC2, it's very bad form to go back and edit a post that people have responded to. You should instead just add the information in a NEW post to avoid confusion. You can even, if you wish, quote your own post into a new post but edit it, prefacing it with a note that you have amended it for clarity.
OK, I was unaware of that, I'll change my original post to what it was and post any relavent information I think of in a new post

Vanadium 50 said:
The OP has edited his post. Originally none of this information was there. Now we all look stupid for asking. Well done, AamsterC2! You made all the people capable of helping you look like jerks! I guess we will see if it is an effective strategy.
You do realize it's possible that this is the 3rd question I've ever asked on here and may have simply been trying to put relevant information where anyone could find it, not trying to make anyone seem like a jerk. Please calm down, I apologize

Last edited:
phinds said:
It seems I am now unable to edit my first post, should I delete this entire topic and create it again with the needed information? Also I apologize for my ignorance when it comes to the etiquette for this forum

AamsterC2 said:
It seems I am now unable to edit my first post, should I delete this entire topic and create it again with the needed information? Also I apologize for my ignorance when it comes to the etiquette for this forum
No problem. We're all new when we're new :smile:

You can only edit posts for a limited amount of time. I'd suggest that you carefully formulate EXACTLY the problem you are trying to solve, with all relevant factors, and start a new post with that since this one has become a bit muddled. Once that is done, you should put a post in this thread linking to the new thread and "report" that new post, asking a moderator to close this thread since you've started a new one. Sounds more complicated than it is.

phinds said:
Nicely done.
Thank you very much for all your help

1. How is the energy released by a flame determined?

The energy released by a flame is typically determined through calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat released by the flame and using it to calculate the energy released.

2. What is the unit of measurement for energy released by a flame?

The unit of measurement for energy released by a flame is typically expressed in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

3. What factors affect the energy released by a flame?

The energy released by a flame can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel being burned, the amount of fuel, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the presence of any accelerants or inhibitors.

4. Can the energy released by a flame be measured in real-time?

Yes, the energy released by a flame can be measured in real-time using specialized equipment such as a calorimeter or a thermal imaging camera.

5. Why is it important to determine the energy released by a flame?

Determining the energy released by a flame is important for understanding the efficiency of a fuel source, as well as for safety purposes in industries such as firefighting and manufacturing.