Determining the Median for Hours Studied and Slept | Interpretation of Graph

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Median
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of median and how it is calculated. The person is having trouble determining the median for the number of hours studied and slept based on a graph. They are guided to understand that the median is the middle number in a set of ordered numbers and are able to correctly calculate the medians for both variables.
lionely

Homework Statement

vown55.png

Attempt :

I think I am interpreting the graph wrongly, the median for the Number of hours studied

should be 3 since only There are people who studied from 1~5 hrs,

and for Number of hours slept it should be (7+6)/2 = 6.5 since people only slept for 4~9 hrs .

I am not sure because the answer is wrong. Please guide me

Physics news on Phys.org
How is median defined?

ehild

Median would be the middle number of a set of numbers that are in order of ascending magnitude.

So, in case of hours to study, you have 1 hour 4 times, 2 hours 4 times, 3 hours 3 times,4 hours twice, 5 hours twice. So the set of hours ordered in ascending magnitude is 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5. What is the number at the middle?

ehild

Well the middle numbers is 2, and for the hours slept it would be 7 oh so the difference is 5.

Thank you . I was being extremely stupid about reading the graph.

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

What is the median and how is it different from the mean?

The median is a measure of central tendency, or the middle value in a set of data. It is different from the mean because the mean is the sum of all values divided by the number of values, while the median is simply the middle value.

How do you find the median of a set of numbers?

To find the median, first arrange the numbers in order from smallest to largest. If there is an odd number of values, the median will be the middle number. If there is an even number of values, the median will be the average of the two middle numbers.

When do you use the median instead of the mean?

The median is used when the data is skewed or has extreme values, as it is less affected by outliers than the mean. It is also used when the data is ordinal or categorical rather than numerical.

What does the median represent in a data set?

The median represents the middle value of the data set, so it can give an indication of the typical or average value in the data. It also divides the data set into two equal parts, with half of the values above and half of the values below.

Can the median be calculated for any type of data?

Yes, the median can be calculated for any type of data, including numerical, categorical, or ordinal data. However, it may not always be a meaningful measure of central tendency, depending on the type of data and the research question being addressed.