Determining the Optimal Thickness for a 30mH-Solenoid Inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to make a 30mH-inductor using a copper wire and a 7-inch rebar with a 12mm diameter. The formula L=(uAN^2)/d is used to determine the number of turns needed, which is calculated to be 613. The conversation also raises questions about the thickness of the copper wire and the correct permeability of the rebar material, which is found to be 2000.
chemic_23

Homework Statement

hi, i just have few questions on how to make a 30mH-inductor (solenoid). I have an enameled copper wire which i will wrapped into a 7-inch rebar having 12mm diameter. In order to determine the number of turns, i made some calculations:

Homework Equations

L=(uAN^2)/d

The Attempt at a Solution

My computations are as follows:
L=30e^-3 H
u=100*4*pi*10^-7 (permeability of the rebar=100 (just an assumption))
A=pi*(6e^-3) m^2 (r=12mm/2=6mm=6e^-3 m)
d=0.1778 m

N=613 turns

my question is:
-how will i know what is the thickness of the copper wire I'm going to use?
-and, is my permeability assumption correct? (i don't really know what is the exact permeability of the rebar)

some photos of rebar:
http://www.circlecityrebar.com/istock_rebar6.jpg"
http://rebar.materialsuppliers.com/Rebar-big.jpg"

please help thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thickness of wire doesn't matter, except the fact that it determines the resistance of the solenoid. check the permeability of the material the rebar is made of, on net, just search in google.

so, in order to have 30mH, i need to make 613 turns? :eek:

if permeability is actually 100, and ur calculations are correct (i have not checked them), then your answer is 613 turns.

i've found out that its permeability is 2000.. thanks :)

Related to Determining the Optimal Thickness for a 30mH-Solenoid Inductor

1. What is the definition of inductance?

Inductance refers to the property of an electrical circuit or component that causes an opposing electromagnetic force (EMF) to be generated when an alternating current (AC) flows through it. It is measured in units of Henrys (H).

2. How does inductance affect the behavior of an inductor?

Inductance determines the amount of opposition to changes in current flow in an inductor. It is directly proportional to the number of turns in the coil and the magnetic permeability of the material. A higher inductance means a stronger EMF and a slower rate of change in current.

3. What factors affect the inductance of an inductor?

The inductance of an inductor is affected by its physical dimensions, such as the number of turns in the coil, the length and cross-sectional area of the coil, and the material used for the core. It is also influenced by the frequency and magnitude of the alternating current flowing through it.

4. How is inductance calculated?

The formula for calculating inductance is L = (μ0 * μr * N^2 * A) / l, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

5. What are the practical applications of inductance?

Inductance is an important concept in the design and operation of electronic circuits. It is used in components such as transformers, motors, generators, and antennas. It is also used in energy storage and filtering applications, as well as inductive heating and wireless power transfer systems.