Determining the Rate at Which Functions approach Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the limits of 1/x as x approaches infinity or zero, and how to determine which function approaches infinity faster in a fraction. The use of L'Hospital's rule is mentioned, but it is argued that this method is not always accurate. The conversation also touches on comparing the speeds of exponential and non-differentiable functions.
Dopplershift
With basic fractions, the limits of 1/x as x approaches infinity or zero is easily determine:

For example,
\begin{equation}
\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1}{x} = 0
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{1}{x} = \infty
\end{equation}

But, we with a operation like ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}##, you have to determine which function approaches infinity faster. If f(x) approaches infinity faster than g(x) then the answer is infinity; likewise if g(x) approaches infinity faster, than the answer is zero.

Do we determine which functions go to infinity faster simply by L'Hospital's rule in which we keep taking derivatives until a constant appears either on the bottom or top.

For example if I have the following"

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x^{1000x}}{e^{0.001x}}## = ?

I can argue that the answer is zero, because after I take 1000 derivatives with L'Hospitals rule, the function on top because some constant, while the bottom remains an exponential function;

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{c}{e^{0.001x}} = 0##therefore, can I use that to prove that the function e^x goes to infinity faster than some function x^{cx}?

But with that logic, how can we compare the speeds of such functions as n! or e^(x)? Considering e^x never becomes a constant and n! is non-differentable?

This is just a question I have out of curiosity. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to begin with you want to compare ##e^n##, and not ##e^x##, to ##n!##.
As for the proof this is a standard problem in first year calculus (if said course contains sequences and series). Hint: you use sandwich/squeeze theorem.

Dopplershift said:
For example,
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
The limit in this example does not exist.The left- and right-sided limits are not the same, so the two-sided limit does not exist.

Dopplershift said:
With basic fractions, the limits of 1/x as x approaches infinity or zero is easily determine:

For example,
\begin{equation}
\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1}{x} = 0
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

But, we with a operation like ##\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}##, you have to determine which function approaches infinity faster. If f(x) approaches infinity faster than g(x) then the answer is infinity; likewise if g(x) approaches infinity faster, than the answer is zero.

Do we determine which functions go to infinity faster simply by L'Hospital's rule in which we keep taking derivatives until a constant appears either on the bottom or top.

For example if I have the following"

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x^{1000x}}{e^{0.001x}}## = ?

I can argue that the answer is zero, because after I take 1000 derivatives with L'Hospitals rule, the function on top because some constant, while the bottom remains an exponential function;

##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{c}{e^{0.001x}} = 0##therefore, can I use that to prove that the function e^x goes to infinity faster than some function x^{cx}?

But with that logic, how can we compare the speeds of such functions as n! or e^(x)? Considering e^x never becomes a constant and n! is non-differentable?

This is just a question I have out of curiosity. Thanks!

Incorrect! [itex]x^{1000x}[/itex] has infinite non-zero derivatives! You are confusing it with [itex]x^{1000}[/itex].

What is the concept of "Determining the Rate at Which Functions approach Infinity"?

The concept refers to studying the behavior of a mathematical function as its input values increase towards infinity. This helps in understanding the growth or decay of the function over time.

Why is it important to determine the rate at which functions approach infinity?

It is important because it helps in predicting the behavior and characteristics of the function in the long run. It also helps in making informed decisions in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

What are some common methods used to determine the rate at which functions approach infinity?

Some common methods include using limits, derivatives, and integrals. These methods help in analyzing the behavior of the function and its rate of change as the input values approach infinity.

Can the rate at which functions approach infinity vary for different functions?

Yes, the rate at which functions approach infinity can vary for different functions. It depends on the degree and complexity of the function, as well as the coefficients and constants involved.

How does the concept of "Determining the Rate at Which Functions approach Infinity" relate to real-world applications?

The concept has various real-world applications, such as predicting population growth, analyzing the decay of radioactive substances, and understanding the speed of objects in motion. It also helps in optimizing processes and making accurate predictions in fields like finance and economics.