Find the limit as x goes to infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses using L'Hospital's Rule to solve a limit with the form of $0^{\infty}$. After taking the ln of the function and using the shortcut for L'Hospital's Rule, the limit simplifies to (infinity) x (- infinity) / (infinity) = 0. The method of dividing all terms by the highest power of x is also mentioned as a way to solve limits with the form of $0^{\infty}$. The conversation ends with the agreement that the limit is simply 0.
Umar
View attachment 6188Hi, I am having trouble with these kind of questions where we have to use L'Hospital's Rule. I took the ln of the function to get the x out of the exponent, and then followed the Rule by taking the derivative of the top and bottom (using a shortcut we learned: lim x --> infty f(x)g(x) = lim x --> infty f(x) / lim x --> infty g(x).

I got to this point after taking the limits: (infinity) x (- infinity) / (infinity) = 0

where e^(- infinity) = 0 which is the answer.

However, I don't feel confident about the way I simplified those infinities, it doesn't seem right to me. I don't think I have a good understanding of how to deal with those infinites..

Can someone try this question out, and see if you had the same intuition, or is there a different approach I should be taking?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.42.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 10.42.43 AM.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 64
Physics news on Phys.org
This limit has the form $0^{\infty}$, and as such is not an indeterminate form, and is simply 0. :D

MarkFL said:
This limit has the form $0^{\infty}$, and as such is not an indeterminate form, and is simply 0. :D

Hmm.. can you explain how you found the limit to be 0 inside of the bracket please?

Umar said:
Hmm.. can you explain how you found the limit to be 0 inside of the bracket please?

You have inside the brackets:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3x}{1+2x^2}\)

One could simply observe that the degree in the denominator is greater than that of the numerator, and so as $x\to\infty$, this expression goes to 0. This was what I did. Or you can rewrite the expression by dividing both numerator and denominator by $x^2$ to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\dfrac{3}{x}}{\dfrac{1}{x^2}+2}\)

And we see that as $x\to\infty$, this expressions becomes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{0}{0+2}=0\)

MarkFL said:
You have inside the brackets:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3x}{1+2x^2}\)

One could simply observe that the degree in the denominator is greater than that of the numerator, and so as $x\to\infty$, this expression goes to 0. This was what I did. Or you can rewrite the expression by dividing both numerator and denominator by $x^2$ to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\dfrac{3}{x}}{\dfrac{1}{x^2}+2}\)

And we see that as $x\to\infty$, this expressions becomes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{0}{0+2}=0\)

Oh wow! I didn't even think of it as simply a rational at first. Can you use that method of dividing all terms by the highest power of x for all rationals?

Umar said:
Oh wow! I didn't even think of it as simply a rational at first. Can you use that method of dividing all terms by the highest power of x for all rationals?

I don't see why not, for limits as $x\to\pm\infty$. :D

What is the concept of "limit" in mathematics?

The concept of limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point or as the input or index approaches infinity or negative infinity.

How is a limit at infinity different from a regular limit?

A limit at infinity is different from a regular limit because it describes the behavior of a function or sequence as the input or index approaches infinity or negative infinity, rather than a specific point. This type of limit is also known as an "asymptotic limit" because it describes the behavior of a function or sequence as it approaches an asymptote, or a line that the graph of the function approaches but never touches.

What does it mean to find the limit as x goes to infinity?

When we say "find the limit as x goes to infinity," we are asking what value a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches infinity. This means that we are interested in the long-term behavior of the function or sequence, rather than its behavior at a specific point. In other words, we want to know what happens to the function or sequence as the input or index gets larger and larger.

What are some common techniques for finding limits at infinity?

Some common techniques for finding limits at infinity include using the properties of limits, factoring and simplifying expressions, applying L'Hopital's rule, and using algebraic manipulation. It is also helpful to understand the behavior of different types of functions (such as polynomials, rational functions, exponential functions, etc.) as the input approaches infinity.

Why is it important to understand limits at infinity?

Understanding limits at infinity is important because it allows us to describe the behavior of a function or sequence as the input or index gets larger and larger. This can be useful in many applications, such as modeling population growth, analyzing the behavior of systems over time, and understanding the long-term behavior of various mathematical models. Limits at infinity also play a crucial role in calculus, as they are used to define concepts such as derivatives and integrals.