Determining the Spring Constant for a Pendulum with a Spring-Loaded Launcher

In summary, a pendulum with a mass of 0.340 kg and a maximum height of 0.120 m relative to equilibrium was launched horizontally by a compressed spring with a displacement of 0.0150 m. The task was to find the spring constant of the spring. By assuming conservation of energy, the equation mgh = (0.5)(k)(x^2) was used to solve for the spring constant, resulting in a value that did not match the accepted answer in the textbook. However, after recalculating with a new calculator, the correct answer of 3550 N/m was obtained.
arche1

Homework Statement

A pendulum, initially at equilibrium, is set into motion by a spring-loaded launcher (compressed a distance of 0.0150 m) which fires horizontally. If the mass of the pendulum bob is 0.340 kg and it rises to a maximum height 0.120 m (relative to equilibrium), what is the spring constant of the spring?

Homework Equations

Gravitational energy: E = mgh
Elastic energy: E = (0.5) (k) (x^2), where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial examination of this problem was to state that the gravitational energy at the point where the pendulum is at it's maximum height (and it is instantaneously at rest) was equal to the elastic energy input into the system. Therefore, mgh = (0.5) (k) (x^2). This resulted in a value of k that is not equal to 3550 N / m (the accepted answer in the textbook). As well, as change in energy is work, and the work done by the spring onto the pendulum wasn't equal to it's elastic potential energy (as we don't know how long the spring was in contact with the pendulum), this answer makes even less sense. I am at a loss as to how to further analyze the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi arche1, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you provide some computational details for your attempt? You've assumed conservation of energy for the spring-bob interaction, which seems quite plausible given the limited number of parameters supplied by the problem statement. So what value did you find for the spring constant (show your work)?

I'm sorry, but having put my data into a new calculator gives me the right answer, and as a result I have solved the question. Thank you very much for your time in helping me!

arche1 said:
I'm sorry, but having put my data into a new calculator gives me the right answer, and as a result I have solved the question. Thank you very much for your time in helping me!
No problem. As long as you've solved your problem everything's good :smile:

1. What is spring constant and why is it important?

Spring constant, also known as force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is important because it helps determine the behavior of a spring and its ability to store and release energy.

2. How do you determine the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be determined by applying a known force to a spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The spring constant is then calculated using the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

3. What units are used to measure spring constant?

Spring constant is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m) or pounds per inch (lb/in). These units represent the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring by one meter or one inch, respectively.

4. What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the temperature. In general, stiffer materials and larger springs tend to have higher spring constants.

5. How does the spring constant relate to Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the spring's displacement. This relationship is represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. Therefore, the spring constant is a crucial factor in understanding and applying Hooke's law.