Determining the width of a slit

In summary, a laser emitting light with a wavelength of 560nm is directed at a single slit, producing an interference pattern on a screen 3.0m away. The central maximum is 5.0cm wide. Using the equation λ = wΔy / L, the distance between adjacent maxima is found to be 0.025m. The width of the slit is then calculated to be 6.72 x10-5m using the equation w = λL / Δy.
chef99

Homework Statement

A laser emitting light with a wavelength of 560nm is directed at a single slit, producing an interference pattern on a screen 3.0m away. The central maximum is 5.0cm wide. 10mks
Determine the width of the slit and the distance between adjacent maxima.[/B]

Homework Equations

λ = wΔy / L

The Attempt at a Solution

Given: Required: w, and https://www.physicsforums.com/file://localhost/Users/jefferyhewitt/Library/Group%20Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.png λ = 560 nmL = 3.0m

m1 = 5.0cm

For the distance between adjacent maxima:

Δy = m1 / 2

Δy = 5.0cm / 2

Δy = 2.5cm

Δy = 0.025mthe distance between adjacent maxima is 0.025m.λ = wΔy / L

w = λL / Δy

w = (5.6 x10-7m)(3.0m) / (0.025m)w = 6.72 x10-5mTherefore, the width of the slit is 6.72 x10-5m.I'm pretty sure I have this right for calculating the slit width, but I'm not sure if I calculated the Δy value properly. any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
chef99 said:
the distance between adjacent maxima is 0.025m.
Only for some of them (the central maximum is not 0.025m away from any other maximum), but I guess that's what the question is asking about.

mfb said:
Only for some of them (the central maximum is not 0.025m away from any other maximum), but I guess that's what the question is asking about.
Thank you for your help!

What is the purpose of determining the width of a slit?

The purpose of determining the width of a slit is to accurately measure the size of an opening or gap in an object, such as a barrier or a lens. This measurement is crucial in various scientific experiments and applications, including optics, spectroscopy, and particle physics.

What is the method for determining the width of a slit?

The most common method for determining the width of a slit is by using a diffraction pattern. This involves passing a beam of light or particles through the slit and observing the resulting diffraction pattern. By analyzing the pattern, the width of the slit can be calculated using basic mathematical equations.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the width of a slit?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the width of a slit. These include the wavelength of the light or particles used, the distance between the slit and the detector, and any imperfections or irregularities in the slit itself. It is important to carefully control these variables to obtain precise measurements.

Can the width of a slit be determined using other methods besides diffraction?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to determine the width of a slit. These include using a microscope or a ruler to directly measure the size of the opening, or using interferometry techniques. However, diffraction is often the most accurate and widely used method for determining the width of a slit.

Why is it important to determine the width of a slit accurately?

Determining the width of a slit accurately is important because it can affect the outcome and interpretation of scientific experiments and applications. In fields like optics and spectroscopy, precise measurements of the slit width are necessary for obtaining accurate data and making meaningful conclusions. In particle physics, the width of slits in particle accelerators can impact the trajectory and behavior of particles, so accurate measurements are crucial for successful experiments.