Determining voltage gain of instrumentation amplifier

In summary, the problem involves an instrumentation amplifier with Vin1=5 mV, Vin2=10 mV, and Vcm=225 mV. The equations to solve for the final output voltage are R_{1}=R_{2}=R, A_{cl}=1+\frac{2R}{R_{G}}, and V_{out}=\left ( 1+\frac{2R}{R_{G}} \right )\left ( V_{in2}-V_{in1} \right ). With incorrect initial calculations, the output voltage was found to be 1 mV, but this does not take into account Vcm. After correcting the math error, the final output voltage is determined to be 1
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The following voltages are applied to the instrumentation amplifier in the figure.
Vin1=5 mV, Vin2=10 mV, and Vcm=225 mV. Determine the final output voltage.

8-39.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]R_{1}=R_{2}=R[/tex]

[tex]A_{cl}=1+\frac{2R}{R_{G}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{out}=\left ( 1+\frac{2R}{R_{G}} \right )\left ( V_{in2}-V_{in1} \right )[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an odd-numbered problem in the back of my book, so I know the answer should be 1.005 V.

I already know my initial answer (see below) is wrong because it comes out to 1 V and does not take into account Vcm. Since I'm given Vcm but not Acm, CMRR, or anything else, how do I solve this problem?

Incorrect:
[tex]V_{out}=\left ( 1+\frac{2\cdot 100k\Omega }{1.0k\Omega} \right )\left ( 10mV-5mV \right )=1mV[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Vcm=225 mV represent?

I believe it represents a common-mode voltage (a noise signal or some other common signal on both inputs).

JJBladester said:
[tex]V_{out}=\left ( 1+\frac{2\cdot 100k\Omega }{1.0k\Omega} \right )\left ( 10mV-5mV \right )= ?[/tex]

Work this out again.

That's what I get for working 15 hours of overtime this weekend and trying to get homework done.

Vout = 1.005 V as expected... Amazing what sleep will do for you. Thanks for pointing out the math error!

Related to Determining voltage gain of instrumentation amplifier

What is an instrumentation amplifier?

An instrumentation amplifier is a type of electronic circuit used to amplify small signals with high accuracy and stability. It is commonly used in applications such as medical devices, industrial sensors, and data acquisition systems.

Why is it important to determine the voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier?

Determining the voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier is important as it allows us to understand how much the input signal will be amplified by the circuit. This information is crucial for accurately measuring and analyzing the amplified signal.

How is the voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier calculated?

The voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier is calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This can be represented by the equation: A = Vout / Vin, where A is the voltage gain, Vout is the output voltage, and Vin is the input voltage.

What factors can affect the voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier?

Some factors that can affect the voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier include the gain setting of the amplifier, the values of the resistors used in the circuit, and the characteristics of the input signal. Any changes in these factors can result in a change in the overall voltage gain of the amplifier.

How can the voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier be optimized?

The voltage gain of an instrumentation amplifier can be optimized by carefully selecting the appropriate gain setting and resistor values, as well as ensuring that the circuit is properly designed and constructed. Additionally, techniques such as shielding and filtering can be used to reduce noise and interference, resulting in a more accurate and stable voltage gain.