Determinism in Coin Tosses: Does It Mean We Have Free Will?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free will and how it relates to the deterministic behavior of objects at a macro level. While quantum physics displays true randomness at a micro level, it is argued that objects at a larger scale still exhibit determinism. However, this is only approximate and it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of every particle involved. This raises the question of whether human behavior can be determined and if we truly have free will. Ultimately, this is a philosophical topic and cannot be scientifically tested.
bland
My personal belief if you will is that we have free will. Anyway my question relates to the so called deterministic behaviour of a coin toss as opposed to a quantum decay.

I think that we all agree that quantum physics displays truly indeterminate random behaviour. However I have heard it stated many times that even though there is quantum randomness at the micro level, at the macro level objects display normal Newtonian determinism.

My question relates to an example that is often given of say a coin toss. Apparently a coin toss displays determinism in principle because if we knew everything about the coin and we knew everything about every single air molecule and so forth that we would in principle be able to predict the coin toss which is fundamentally not possible with nuclear decay.

However, this bugs me a lot because I do not see how even in principle the coin toss could be determined due to the fact that even though there may be multi trillions of air molecules involved, we are still in principle not able to know the position and momentum of any of them. So how can the coin toss be used as an in principle argument for macroscopic determinism.

And this follows that the behaviour of the human being cannot be determined and therefore we do have free will due to the same reasons that the coin toss cannot be determined in principle.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that the determinism in macro level objects is only approximate. It is impossible, even in principle, to know the position and momentum about every air atom and every coin atom exactly.

As to the relevance of that observation to "free will". I see no possible scientific test to address the matter. So it's more philosophy than science and not proper subject matter for discussion here.

jbriggs444 said:
As to the relevance of that observation to "free will". I see no possible scientific test to address the matter. So it's more philosophy than science and not proper subject matter for discussion here.
Jbriggs has it right.
I'm closing this thread, although a more focused discussion about how classical deterministic behaviors emerge from the underlying probabilistic theory of quantum mechanics would be a reasonable topic (There are already some discussions along these lines in the QM subforum, where I'm moving this thread).

If you want to explore the relationship between QM and free will (but not here! please!) you could give Roger Penrose's "The Emperor's New Mind" a try... just be aware that a fair summary of the reviews would be "interesting, but profoundly unconvincing".

What is determinism?

Determinism is the philosophical idea that all events, including human actions, are ultimately determined by previous causes and factors, and therefore cannot be altered or changed.

How does determinism relate to coin tosses?

In the context of coin tosses, determinism suggests that the outcome of a coin toss is predetermined by the initial conditions, such as the force applied, the angle of the toss, and the properties of the coin itself.

Does determinism mean we do not have free will?

This is a highly debated and complex question. Some argue that determinism and free will are not mutually exclusive, and that our actions are the result of both predetermined factors and our own conscious choices. Others argue that if everything is predetermined, then there is no room for free will. Ultimately, the answer is subjective and dependent on one's philosophical beliefs.

Are there any scientific studies on determinism in coin tosses?

There have been several studies conducted on the predictability of coin tosses, with some suggesting that the outcome can be influenced by factors such as the initial conditions and the environment. However, there is no scientific consensus on whether determinism applies to coin tosses or not.

What are the implications of determinism in everyday life?

If determinism is true, it could potentially have significant implications on our understanding of free will, morality, and responsibility. It could also impact how we make decisions and view the world around us. However, these implications are heavily debated and may vary depending on one's perspective.