Deterministic wind down of the Universe under MWI or Copenhagen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the Many Worlds Interpretation and the Copenhagen Interpretation. The Many Worlds Interpretation suggests that rerunning the universe will result in the same set of states and the same set of "you"s, making determinism pointless. On the other hand, the Copenhagen Interpretation does not allow for rerunning the universe due to the violation of the no-cloning rule. The conversation also explores the idea of creating a testable definition for determinism and the potential limitations of the Many Worlds Interpretation.
entropy1
Is it correct to say:
  1. Under the Many Worlds Interpretation: If we rerun the universe repeatedly from the same state S(0), it winds down the same way each time, which is determinism;
  2. Under the Copenhagen Interpretation: If we rerun the universe repeatedly from the same state S(0), it may well not wind down the same way each time, which is NOT determinism?

Physics news on Phys.org
With the Many-World Interpretation, rerunning the universe will give you the same set of states and the same set of "you"s. Since you don't get to choose which you is you, the determinism is pointless.

The Copenhagen Interpretation does not allow you to rerun the universe. That would be a duplication of quantum information which would violate the no-cloning rule.

.Scott said:
The Copenhagen Interpretation does not allow you to rerun the universe. That would be a duplication of quantum information which would violate the no-cloning rule.
I mean it as a thought experiment.

entropy1 said:
I mean it as a thought experiment.
To answer in the spirit of the question, the Many-World interpretation is an interpretation and therefore should not be different from the Copenhagen interpretation. Both should result in the analogous results as far as determinism is concerned.

The basic problem is to create a testable definition for "determinism". If you can't do that, then this is philosophy.

Likes entropy1
.Scott said:
The basic problem is to create a testable definition for "determinism". If you can't do that, then this is philosophy.
Perhaps something like: suppose we have run R0 and run R1 under equal interpretation; IF an event occurs in one, it occurs in the other?

And as I mean it as a thought experiment, it should only have to be formally testable right? Kind of if you can show that X and only X happens for that particular starting state S and interpretation I.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
Perhaps something like: suppose we have run R0 and run R1 under equal interpretation; IF an event occurs in one, it occurs in the other?
If you can describe an experiment that could be performed in principle that would differentiate between MWI and Copenhagen, then MWI would become MWT (Many-Worlds Theory). By definition, an interpretation is simply a different way of describing the same experimental results.

That said, I am not convinced that MWI really is an interpretation. But I also believe I'm holding a minority opinion.

The trouble I have with MWI is that it creates what I might describe as "explosive dimensions". Super-positioning aside, you could describe your location in the universe with 4 values, three spatial dimensions plus time - with due considerations made for an origin and the non-Euclidean effects of gravity. But with MWI, you would need to look into every "split" that occurred in your historic light cone going back to the "beginning" and specify which branch you followed in each case. I predict that at some point Physics will include a more comprehensive way of keeping track of total information content, and at that point MWI will die. At a minimum, the main point of MWI was to avoid having to make a truly random choice - an act that would have added information to the universe. But its actual effect is the opposite because the content of each individual world is the ever-expanding "address" of that world.

entropy1 said:
And as I mean it as a thought experiment, it should only have to be formally testable right? Kind of if you can show that X and only X happens for that particular starting state S and interpretation I.
Yes. Within the limits of actual Physics, it has to be testable in principal. So an experiment involving three nearly identical black holes orbiting a common point would be fair game - even though it is doubtful such an experiment could ever be conducted. But requiring the universe to suddenly triple in mass would require you to explain how that could be within the limits of actual Physics.

1. What is the MWI or Copenhagen interpretation of the deterministic wind down of the Universe?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) and the Copenhagen interpretation are two different interpretations of quantum mechanics. Both propose that the universe will eventually wind down in a deterministic manner, but they have different explanations for how this will occur.

2. How does the MWI explain the deterministic wind down of the Universe?

The MWI posits that the universe is constantly splitting into multiple parallel universes, each with different outcomes of quantum events. As the universe winds down, these parallel universes will eventually merge into a single state, resulting in a deterministic end to the universe.

3. What is the role of consciousness in the Copenhagen interpretation of the deterministic wind down of the Universe?

In the Copenhagen interpretation, consciousness plays a central role in the collapse of the wave function and the determination of the outcome of quantum events. As the universe winds down, it is believed that consciousness will ultimately determine the final state of the universe.

4. Is there any evidence to support the MWI or Copenhagen interpretation of the deterministic wind down of the Universe?

Both the MWI and Copenhagen interpretations are currently untestable and remain purely theoretical. Therefore, there is no empirical evidence to support either interpretation at this time.

5. How does the concept of free will fit into the deterministic wind down of the Universe under MWI or Copenhagen?

Both interpretations suggest that the universe will eventually wind down in a deterministic manner, meaning that all events are predetermined and there is no room for free will. However, some proponents of the MWI argue that the existence of multiple parallel universes allows for the possibility of free will in some form.