Developing a Flow Meter with Microcontroller & IR Sensors

In summary, the goal of the three channels is to increase the precision of the read. Lucian is having trouble with the read, and he thinks that the problem is related to the fluid mechanics. He is trying to develop a mechanic prototype that will segment the liquid with no turbulent flow (or less turbulent possible).
Lucian Silva
Hi evryone.
My name is Lucian, I'm a Computer Engineer.
I'm working in a project of a company to develop a flow meter using a microcontroller and Infrared sensors.
I'm stuck in the mechanic fluid part.
We're trying to develop this product basing in the mechanic model of the attached picture.
The liquid will enter in the top and pairs of IR leds and Phototransistors and the A/D converter of the microcontroller will read the voltage oscillation caused by the difference of the density of the liquid.
The liquid will pass with pulsating vacuum.
The goal of the 3 channels is to segment the liquid and increase the precision of the read.
I'm having sobre problems with the voltage read and I'm starting to think that this problems are related with fluid mechanics like turbulent flow.
We're developing this mechanics prototypes using a 3-D Printer.
My goal is to develop a mechanic prototype that will segment the liquid with no turbulent flow (or less tuebulent possible).

I don't know much about fluid mechanic, but I studied a little bit about Reynold Number and turbulent flow.

If someone could help I would be grateful.

Thanks and sorry for the bad english.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 442
Engineering news on Phys.org
Lucian Silva said:
The goal of the 3 channels is to segment the liquid and increase the precision of the read.
The squared off ends of the two segments bounding the center stream are going to cause turbulence (be they upstream or downstream).

Likes Lucian Silva
Hi Bystander, thanks for the answer.
That's a great hint. Thanks. I'll tell to the Solidwork guy of the company to put a softly format in the end of the channel for testing.
If you have more advices I'll be very grateful.
As I said before, I have little or nothing experience with fluid mechanics.

Thanks.

Keep us posted. Flow meters are always interesting.

I'm posting a picture with the plot of the values of the middle channel and the right channel.

test.png

I don't know if my assumptions are right, but I think that something like that.

1. What is a flow meter and how does it work?

A flow meter is a device used to measure the rate of fluid flow in a system. It works by using sensors to detect changes in the fluid's velocity, pressure, or other physical properties, and then converting that information into a measurable output.

2. What is a microcontroller and how is it used in a flow meter?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control a specific task. In a flow meter, a microcontroller is used to process the data collected by the sensors and calculate the flow rate. It also controls the display and any other functions of the flow meter.

3. Why are IR sensors used in flow meters?

IR (infrared) sensors are commonly used in flow meters because they are non-contact sensors, meaning they do not have to come in direct contact with the fluid being measured. This makes them less prone to damage and allows for easier maintenance of the flow meter.

4. What are the benefits of using a flow meter with a microcontroller and IR sensors?

Using a flow meter with a microcontroller and IR sensors allows for more accurate and precise measurements, as well as real-time data processing. It also allows for remote monitoring and control of the flow meter.

5. Are there any limitations to using a flow meter with a microcontroller and IR sensors?

Some limitations of using a flow meter with a microcontroller and IR sensors include the possibility of interference from external sources, as well as the need for regular calibration and maintenance to ensure accurate readings. Additionally, these types of flow meters may not be suitable for all types of fluids or flow rates.