Device For Driver Communication Between Vehicles

In summary: Novice drivers struggle with the basics, so adding manual controls and displays into the mix probably won't help. Instead, maybe more high-tech video game display type stuff would match their mindset and experience better. Perhaps think along those lines instead.In summary, the idea is that drivers would use this device to communicate with each other to determine who should go first when it's ambiguous. However, I think the hassle of using it would be outweighed by the benefits for novice drivers, and the trust and liability concerns are too high for me to support this idea.
person123
I'm putting this here because the ideas just a result of hours in traffic, but I'm curious what people would say about it.

It would be a device for drivers to communicate with each other to decide who should go first when it's ambiguous (e.g. merging, changing lanes in front of someone, crossing at an intersection, general jams in the city etc.)

I imagine the input and output would all be tactile with two parts on each side of the steering wheel. The right side would have a bump which would spin to follow the car being communicated with. The driver could also turn it to choose what car to communicate with (and it would snap into place if it found a car which also had this device). The left side would have two switches. The top switch can be toggled forward or backward to indicate their intent to go or let the other driver go, respectively. The bottom switch can not be toggled and tells you the other driver's intent.

Here would be a simple situation:

Person A is attempting to change lanes and come in front of Person B. Person B sees Person A signaling, points the right bump toward Person A and feels it snap into place, indicating Person A also has the device. Person B decides to let Person A pass, so sets the top switch back. Person A feels their bottom switch snap forward, indicating Person B gave them the ok, so sets their top switch forward to let Person B know they're on the same page. They have now both agreed that Person A will change lanes in front of Person B.

I'm not sure whether the hassle of using the device would be worth the benefits, but I imagine it could be helpful, especially for novice drivers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing new under the sun. Communication between vehicles?

If you think the drumming sounds familiar, you're correct.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356, nsaspook and berkeman
person123 said:
I'm putting this here because the ideas just a result of hours in traffic, but I'm curious what people would say about it.

It would be a device for drivers to communicate with each other to decide who should go first when it's ambiguous (e.g. merging, changing lanes in front of someone, crossing at an intersection, general jams in the city etc.)...

I'm not sure whether the hassle of using the device would be worth the benefits, but I imagine it could be helpful, especially for novice drivers.
It's not bad, but I have the opposite take when it comes to novice drivers. Imo this would increase the workload so it could be detrimental to new drivers. I recently learned to fly, and managing workload is an important part of it. You can really feel it when you get behind in processing information. And there were times it reminded me of learning to drive.

But I have a bigger concern: trust/liability. What if a driver says they will yield and then doesn't? Do we rely on a data recorder to prove who's fault the resulting accident is?

Obviously though, automatic communications are going to be a thing for self-driving cars. at some point.

• Informative
Likes DaveE, nsaspook and berkeman
russ_watters said:
But I have a bigger concern: trust/liability. What if a driver says they will yield and then doesn't?
"Left turn?" You are always at fault, doesn't matter whether someone's being "polite" to you or not (used to be R.I. was an exception), you ARE IT. Had a few people, obviously un-insured, try to collect on my insurance here in CO; waited 'em out to the chagrin of people behind me.

Likes russ_watters
person123 said:
Interesting idea, but I don't think this idea will work.

** Novice drivers struggle with the basics, so adding manual controls and displays into the mix probably won't help. Instead, maybe more high-tech video game display type stuff would match their mindset and experience better. Perhaps think along those lines instead.

** Standard signaling and controls are already pretty good, as long as people know how to use them and actually do use them. Turn signals (turned on before any braking or lane changes) are very helpful and effective. Also, understanding trucker signals to request and acknowledge lane changes is an important tool. Quiz Question -- what are those signals? (Lane change request, Lane change clearance acknowledgment, Thank you after the safe lane change).

Lane change request -- Blinker

Lane change clearance acknowledgment -- If your headlights are already on, turn them off for 1 second and back on. If your headlights are off, double-flash your highbeams.

Thank you after the safe lane change -- Vehicle in front taps their brakes twice or turns on their flashers for two flashes.

:smile:

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
Lane change clearance acknowledgment -- If your headlights are already on, turn them off for 1 second and back on. If your headlights are off, double-flash your highbeams.
Why don't American cars have the the four way turn signal stalk? Left Right HighBeam(forward) LowBeam(back). The forward turns on high beams even if your lights are not on. I hate the stupid US double click...it is an inferior design

hutchphd said:
Why don't American cars have the the four way turn signal stalk? Left Right HighBeam(forward) LowBeam(back). The forward turns on high beams even if your lights are not on. I hate the stupid US double click...it is an inferior design
No comprendo...

That's Klingon for I have no idea what you are trying to say... :wink:

Klingon sounds very Hispanic...
High beams on American cars used to be a left foot click switch that altrernated beams. Turn on lights from dash...click, high click again, low. Now they have the click switch on the stalk click high click again low. Seems clunky
All foreign cars I have had (I think) select high beams by pushing the stalk forward and lows by pulling it back. I like it much better. It also makes sending signals much easier. A small but inexplicably annoying part of my life...I have a Ford which I like otherwise

hutchphd said:
Why don't American cars have the the four way turn signal stalk?
Um.. I think they do have that. Unless you bought your american car 30 or 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and Bystander
hutchphd said:
I think every American car I've owned or rented in the last 30 or 40 years (probably 15 to 20 different cars) has had this. Previously, yeah, it was the foot pedal for high beams on/off. SO ... where are you getting your bogus data point?

person123 said:
It would be a device for drivers to communicate with each other to decide who should go first when it's ambiguous (e.g. merging, changing lanes in front of someone, crossing at an intersection, general jams in the city etc.)
Naive, but nice idea: but I'm afraid the first feature I would ask for for any such device is a profanity, spam and AD filter o0)

(And yes, you can be profane and do spam with simple buttons too...)

By the way, in a troublesome situation the last thing you want is one more thing to care for.
Sometimes just keeping it simple is the best.

Likes phinds
phinds said:
SO ... where are you getting your bogus data point?

I am evidently not being clear.
I am referring to the method of action of the stalk mounted dimmer. I believe my present American car (2005 Ford Focus) has a latching switch on the stalk (pullclick on for high; pullclick again for off/low). My Mazda has the preferred push stalk forward for high pull stalk backward for low. II will check this later and report any mistaken notions.
Neither car has a foot switch, although I do remember them without fondness (I believe them to be vestiges of mechanical linkages which actually moved the beams).

1. What is a "Device For Driver Communication Between Vehicles"?

A "Device For Driver Communication Between Vehicles" is a technology that allows for communication between vehicles on the road. It can include features such as alerts for potential hazards, traffic updates, and emergency communication.

2. How does a "Device For Driver Communication Between Vehicles" work?

The device uses wireless communication technology, such as Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) or Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything (C-V2X), to establish a connection between vehicles. This allows for the exchange of information between vehicles, such as speed, location, and direction, to help drivers make informed decisions on the road.

3. What are the benefits of using a "Device For Driver Communication Between Vehicles"?

Some potential benefits of this technology include improved safety on the road, reduced traffic congestion, and enhanced communication during emergency situations. It can also provide drivers with real-time information about road conditions and potential hazards.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks or concerns with using a "Device For Driver Communication Between Vehicles"?

Some concerns with this technology include privacy concerns, potential cybersecurity risks, and the need for widespread adoption for it to be effective. There may also be challenges with integrating this technology into existing vehicles and infrastructure.

5. Is the use of "Device For Driver Communication Between Vehicles" currently being implemented?

Yes, there are currently pilot programs and research being conducted on the use of this technology. Some vehicles, such as certain models of Audi and Cadillac, already have this technology installed. However, widespread implementation and adoption are still in the early stages.