Diagram for Wooden Block Friction Problem

In summary: It would help in understanding your thought process.In summary, when a wooden block of mass M is pulled at an angle θ with a force F on a rough horizontal floor with a coefficient of kinetic friction μ, the acceleration of the block can be calculated by subtracting the horizontal component of the force from the friction force, using the formula f=μkN. The normal reaction, which is proportional to the friction force, will be less than Mg due to the vertical component of force. Drawing a force diagram can help visualize this concept. The surfaces in contact only care about the forces that tend to move them differently, not about gravity. Therefore, the harder they are pressed together (normal force), the more they can resist being slid against
takando12

Homework Statement

A wooden block of mass M resting on a rough horizontal floor is pulled with a force F at an angle θ with the horizontal. If μ is the coeeficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface, then acceleration of the block is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]The horizontal component of the force - the friction force = ma. And the formula for kinetic friction is f=μkN. The normal reaction will be Mg. But I suppose the vertical component of force must also fit in somehow. Should I add it or subtract it to Mg? my initial hunch was to add it but the answer says it's been subtracted. Can someone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
takando12 said:
The horizontal component of the force - the friction force = ma.

Fine.

takando12 said:
And the formula for kinetic friction is f=μkN

Yes

takando12 said:
The normal reaction will be Mg

No

takando12 said:
But I suppose the vertical component of force must also fit in somehow. Should I add it or subtract it to Mg?

Certainly

takando12 said:
my initial hunch was to add it but the answer says it's been subtracted. Can someone explain why?

Have you drawn a force diagram. If you draw the forces with the x and y components it should be clear why they are subtracted. This is what reduces the normal force between the surfaces and hence the force of friction.

I agree. Always draw force diagrams with these types of questions, and be sure to label the components of all the forces acting on the object. Keep in mind any y component of force will affect the normal force on the object, which is why, in this particular case, the normal force in not simply Mg.

takando12 said:

Homework Statement

A wooden block of mass M resting on a rough horizontal floor is pulled with a force F at an angle θ with the horizontal. If μ is the coeeficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface, then acceleration of the block is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]The horizontal component of the force - the friction force = ma. And the formula for kinetic friction is f=μkN. The normal reaction will be Mg. But I suppose the vertical component of force must also fit in somehow. Should I add it or subtract it to Mg? my initial hunch was to add it but the answer says it's been subtracted. Can someone explain why?
It is not stated whether the force F acts at an angle theta above the horizontal or an angle theta below the horizontal, so there is no way to know whether it should be added or subtracted.
If we assume it is above the horizontal, would you add or subtract?

I did draw out the force diagram. But I thought I must add them because they are acting in the same direction. I think my basic understanding is still at flaw. I don't understand how the normal reaction is proportional to the frictional force. I suppose the weight is proportional as it would be harder to move a heavy object as it would stick to the surface more. But why the normal reaction in specific?

You can imagine the normal force as "pushing" the two surfaces (the wooden block and the floor) together. It is a rather easy conclusion to arrive to that if there is a lot of force pushing the two surfaces together, then it will be harder to slide one of the surfaces across the other.

takando12 said:
I thought I must add them because they are acting in the same direction.
What and what are acting in the same direction, exactly?
takando12 said:
I don't understand how the normal reaction is proportional to the frictional force. I suppose the weight is proportional as it would be harder to move a heavy object as it would stick to the surface more. But why the normal reaction in specific?
The surfaces in contact don't "know" anything about gravity. All they care about is the forces tending to move the two surfaces differently.
The harder they are pressed together (i.e., the normal force), the more they can resist being slid against each other (parallel force).

takando12 said:
I did draw out the force diagram

Can you post your diagram?

What is a wooden block friction problem?

A wooden block friction problem involves determining the force required to move a wooden block across a surface with a specific coefficient of friction.

What factors affect the amount of friction in a wooden block friction problem?

The amount of friction in a wooden block friction problem is affected by the weight of the block, the type of surface it is moving on, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface.

How can the coefficient of friction be determined for a wooden block friction problem?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting experiments with different weights and measuring the force required to move the block across the surface.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a wooden block friction problem?

Static friction occurs when the block is at rest and must be overcome by a force to start moving, while kinetic friction occurs when the block is already in motion and experiences resistance from the surface.

What are some real-world applications of wooden block friction problems?

Wooden block friction problems are commonly used in engineering and design to determine the force required to move objects across surfaces, such as in the design of conveyor belts or the calculation of traction for vehicles on different terrains.