Diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines

In summary, the conversation discussed drawing a diagram of energy levels to explain the spectrum of lines for the hydrogen atom and comparing it to the spectrum of the He+ atom. It was also mentioned that the answer for (a) was not complete and that the answer for (b) was nonsensical. The conversation ended with a suggestion to visit a Wikipedia page for further clarification.
José Ricardo

Homework Statement

a) Draw a diagram of energy levels to explain the spectrum of lines of the hydrogen atom
b) Indicate, for each photon, that its region can be emitted to the electromagnetic spectrum.
c) Compare, in a graph, the energies of the orbital of the hydrogen atom with the energies of the He+

Homework Equations

xxx

The Attempt at a Solution

a) letter a was half done because I don't know how to explain the spectrum of lines, I made a drawing like that above:
CK12_Screenshot_5-7-2.png

[/B]

b) 1 to 2: Yellow
2 to 3: Green
3 to 4: Blue
4 to 5: Red
5 to 7: Red

c) I don't know how to do it.

Attachments

• CK12_Screenshot_5-7-2.png
    CK12_Screenshot_5-7-2.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 8,068
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you posted someone else's energy diagram for (a) instead of posting your own. Did you actually draw your own? If so, just post it and don't worry it it's not professionally done. You will be able to understand how to do (c) if you understand how to do (a). Start by writing the expression for the nth energy level En and keep the atomic number as Z in the expression. The difference between (a) and (c) is that with hydrogen you have Z = 1 and with helium you have Z = 2. For the purposes of answering this question, it is safe to assume that the electrons in the helium atom are non-interacting (no electron-electron repulsion) and that they move in the full Coulomb potential of the nucleus (no shielding).

Also, your answers in (b) are nonsensical. It looks like you just listed the colors that someone chose for the arrows representing the transitions. You are expected to determine the region in the EM spectrum in which the photons from each transition are found. Regions are things like radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible, etc.

Likes José Ricardo
Hi Kuruman, good morning!
I was still in final exams at the college and I couldn't answer here. I'm going to send my message, even being wrong. I would like help on this exercise.

image.jpg

P1_b.jpg

P1_b_2.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 521
  • P1_b.jpg
    P1_b.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 558
  • P1_b_2.jpg
    P1_b_2.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 587
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 920
  • P1_b.jpg
    P1_b.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 878
  • P1_b_2.jpg
    P1_b_2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 843
Sorry, the pictures you posted are illegible. All I can distinguish are the Mickey Mouse characters and the little hearts. Cute, but irrelevant. If you must post pictures, please make sure you use a black thick pen to write with and plenty of light for good contrast.

Starting with question (a), what is the relevant equation that gives you the energy levels for the hydrogen atom? How would you modify it to get the energy levels for the helium atom? Once you figure this out, you should be able to do (a) and (c).
For (b) go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum.

I hope you did well on your exams.

Last edited:
Likes baldbrain and José Ricardo

1. What is a diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines?

A diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines is a visual representation of the different energy levels that an electron can occupy in a hydrogen atom. These energy levels are represented by horizontal lines, and each line corresponds to a specific amount of energy.

2. Why is a diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines important?

A diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines is important because it helps us understand the structure of an atom and how electrons behave within it. It also provides valuable information about the energy transitions that occur when an electron moves between energy levels, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of atoms in chemical reactions and the emission of light.

3. How is a diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines created?

A diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines is created by using the Rydberg formula, which calculates the energy of the different levels based on the principal quantum number (n). The resulting energy levels are then plotted on a graph, with the lowest energy level at the bottom and the highest energy level at the top.

4. What do the lines in a diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines represent?

The lines in a diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines represent the different energy levels that an electron can occupy in a hydrogen atom. The energy levels are labeled with the corresponding principal quantum number (n) and can be used to determine the energy of the electron in a specific state.

5. How does a diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines relate to the emission spectrum of hydrogen?

A diagram of energy levels of hydrogen lines is closely related to the emission spectrum of hydrogen. When an electron in a hydrogen atom moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of light. This light corresponds to the energy difference between the two levels and produces the characteristic lines in the emission spectrum, which can be matched to the energy levels in the diagram.