Diamagnetism confusion -- Does diamagnetism really have to do with Lenz’s law?

yymm
Homework Statement
Does diamagnetism really got to do with Lenz’s law?
Relevant Equations
NA
In my textbook, and on many websites it says that when placed in a magnetic field and then due to Lenz’s law a magnetic dipole moment is created in atoms and so the material gets attracted to the magnet? But then in the case I bring the magnet close to the material very slowly( so the change in magnetic flux is very low), or I put the magnet there for a long time, stationary, then does that mean the material no longer gets magnetised?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of material? The diamagnetic materials are not attracted.

The answer is that Lenz's law has nothing to do with diamagnetism which is a quantum phenomenon. Lenz's law involves changing magnetic fields. However, all atoms exhibit diamagnetism and do so in steady magnetic fields. The effect has to do with electron orbits excluding magnetic flux. I think your textbook explanation is an attempt to explain diamagnetism as induced eddy currents at the atomic level. As is usual with classical models applied to quantum phenomena, the model falls short.

This Wikipedia article has more information.

• Informative
Likes hongseok, vanhees71, hutchphd and 1 other person
nasu said:
What kind of material? The diamagnetic materials are not attracted.
sorry I was meant to say repel instead of attract. Thanks for picking it up!

kuruman said:
The answer is that Lenz's law has nothing to do with diamagnetism which is a quantum phenomenon. Lenz's law involves changing magnetic fields. However, all atoms exhibit diamagnetism and do so in steady magnetic fields. The effect has to do with electron orbits excluding magnetic flux. I think your textbook explanation is an attempt to explain diamagnetism as induced eddy currents at the atomic level. As is usual with classical models applied to quantum phenomena, the model falls short.

This Wikipedia article has more information.
Yeah probably. If I haven't studied quantum mechanics yet then is it enough to know that diamagnetic materials gets repelled?

yymm said:
##\dots~## yet then is it enough to know that diamagnetic materials gets repelled?
Enough for what? If you have not studied quantum mechanics but you are worried what will be on the next test, it is probably "enough" to know qualitatively the distinguishing features of diamagnetism, paramagnetism and ferromagnetism.

1. What is diamagnetism and how does it relate to Lenz's law?

Diamagnetism is a type of magnetism that occurs in materials that do not have a permanent magnetic dipole moment. This means that they are not naturally magnetic, but when exposed to an external magnetic field, they will create a weak magnetic field in the opposite direction. This phenomenon is explained by Lenz's law, which states that the induced current in a conductor will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

2. Is diamagnetism the same as Lenz's law?

No, diamagnetism and Lenz's law are two separate concepts. Diamagnetism is a property of materials, while Lenz's law is a principle that explains the behavior of induced currents in conductors. However, diamagnetism can be explained by Lenz's law.

3. How does diamagnetism differ from paramagnetism and ferromagnetism?

Diamagnetism, paramagnetism, and ferromagnetism are all different types of magnetism that occur in materials. Diamagnetism is the weakest form of magnetism and is caused by the orbital motion of electrons. Paramagnetism is stronger and is caused by the spin of electrons. Ferromagnetism is the strongest and is caused by the alignment of electron spins in a material.

4. Can all materials exhibit diamagnetism?

Yes, all materials have some degree of diamagnetic properties. However, the effect is very weak and can only be observed in certain materials. Materials that are strongly diamagnetic, such as bismuth and graphite, have all of their electrons paired and their magnetic fields cancel out.

5. How is diamagnetism used in scientific research and technology?

Diamagnetism is used in a variety of scientific and technological applications. In research, it is used to study the properties of materials and to measure the strength of magnetic fields. In technology, diamagnetic materials are used in magnetic levitation, where the repulsive force between a strong magnetic field and the diamagnetic material allows for objects to float. Diamagnetic materials are also used in MRI machines to create images of the human body.