Diamagnetism of Pyrolytic carbon

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties and potential applications of pyrolytic carbon, specifically its diamagnetic capabilities. The participants also mention the potential of using pyrolytic carbon in laminated layers to create an omni directional cleavage and enhance its diamagnetic field. They also inquire about obtaining free samples for product evaluation and potential science projects. One participant offers corrections regarding the direction of enhanced diamagnetism in pyrolytic carbon and suggests altering plans based on this information.
Intuitive
We know that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolytic_carbon" layers will have an omni directional cleavage and possibly an omni directional Diamagnetic field.

Also, could a http://www.ebteccorp.com/lasercut.html" cut such a thin sheet of Pyrolytic carbon to transparent thickness, If not then say 5 microns or less?:bugeye:

Note: The most strongly diamagnetic material is Bismuth χ = −166×10−6, although pyrolitic graphite may have a susceptibility of χ = −400×10−6 in one plane.

If pyrolitic graphite can be made Diamagnetic omni directional by the above method it will be the strongest Diamagnetic substance at room temperature and Bismuth will be history.

Also, Does anybody know of any company that gives free samples of Diamagnetic pyrolitic graphite for product evaluation, I intend to carry out the above experiment to see if the omni directional diamagnetic field exists.

Another question is, does Diamagnetic Graphite increase in Diamagnetism with Tc?

Attachments

• graphite_levitation.jpg
    graphite_levitation.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 585
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This could be worth a Science Grant couldn't it?:bugeye:

We know that Pyrolytic carbon is Diamagnetic only in one plane of direction but is it possible to cut it into slices with its cleavage to transparent thickness and then take each of the Pyrolytic carbon transparent sheets and laminate each of the layers into criss cross cleavages so that each thin layer is in 45 degrees in cleavage direction so that the sum of all the laminated layers will have an omni directional cleavage and possibly an omni directional Diamagnetic field.
This sentence is extremely unclear. Would you please elaborate ?

It's interesting, If we looked into the Laminated pyrolitic graphite sheets in which each sheet is 45 degrees to the next layer the cleavage appears Helical from above or below looking through all the layers at once.

This makes me curious if Nano tubes are strongly Diamagnetic at their ends or when your looking straight down on Nano Tubes stacked in parallel (Paralleled Vertical Helixes). :bugeye:

Attachments

• PyroliticGraphite.gif
    PyroliticGraphite.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:
Why do you think you're going to form a nano tube?

nbo10 said:
Why do you think you're going to form a nano tube?

No, I was comparing Spiralism/Helicals of the two Carbons and associating Carbon/Graphite Spirals with possible omni directional Diamagnetism. (intuition only).

Diamagnetic pyrolitic graphite has linear Cleavages from its growth during manufacturing process, also known as HOPG or Highly Ordered Pyrolitic Graphite.

If these HOPG layers are sliced with its cleavage it can be made into very thin sheets, if each sheet is turned 45 degrees when stacked for lamination the sum of the stack would as opposed to its Linear Cleavage would appear to have a spiral or Helical effect while looking down through the layers when 90 degrees opposed to its cleavage, The diagram above can give you an idea as to orienting the Linear cleavages in any radial degree that is desired, if each slice can be made say a micron in thickness this would make the stacked radial cleavage pattern more dense with the effect possibly adding to its diamagnetic enhancements, the diamagnetism in pyrolitic graphite is only diamagnetic in one plane,(in the direction of its cleavage)
If the cleavages can be omni directional then its possible that its diamagnetic direction will also change.:bugeye:

Intuitive said:
... the diamagnetism in pyrolitic graphite is only diamagnetic in one plane,(in the direction of its cleavage)...

Hello Intuitive.
It is nice to see some creative interest and ideas, but...before you go too far let me point out something.

The enhanced diamagnetism from pyrolytic carbon is NOT in the direction along the cleavage, but rather in the direction orthogonal to the cleavage. (It is the thermal conductivity that is enhanced in the direction of the cleavage).

The diamagnetic susceptibility however along the cleavage is not zero, but is still considerable, about -75 x 10^-6 versus -400 x 10^-6 perpendicular to the plane.
The properties of this material are, nevertheless, unusual, providing unique areas of applicability (as the link pointed out).
However, you may now want to alter your plans...:wink:

Creator

Last edited:
Creator said:
Hello Intuitive.
It is nice to see some creative interest and ideas, but...before you go too far let me point out something.

The enhanced diamagnetism from pyrolytic carbon is NOT in the direction along the cleavage, but rather in the direction orthogonal to the cleavage. (It is the thermal conductivity that is enhanced in the direction of the cleavage).

The diamagnetic susceptibility however along the cleavage is not zero, but is still considerable, about -75 x 10^-6 versus -400 x 10^-6 perpendicular to the plane.
The properties of this material are, nevertheless, unusual, providing unique areas of applicability (as the link pointed out).
However, you may now want to alter your plans...:wink:

Creator

Thanks for pointing out the oversite, I can not change the previous posts so I will make sure I note your advice for future postings.:bugeye:

Intuitive said:
Also, Does anybody know of any company that gives free samples of Diamagnetic pyrolitic graphite for product evaluation

I am also hoping to find a company that could give me a small sample. I am a student working with my school's physics club on a magnetism project. I don't think we need very much. We want to map out the specific way magnetic fields of our magnets react to the pyrolytic carbon for one of our projects.

1. What is diamagnetism?

Diamagnetism is a property of certain materials where they exhibit a weak repulsion to an external magnetic field. This is caused by the induced magnetic field within the material that opposes the applied field.

2. What is pyrolytic carbon?

Pyrolytic carbon is a form of carbon that is produced by heating a hydrocarbon gas above 1000°C in a vacuum. This results in a highly ordered carbon structure with unique properties, including high strength, high thermal stability, and low electrical resistivity.

3. How does pyrolytic carbon exhibit diamagnetism?

Pyrolytic carbon exhibits diamagnetism because of its unique carbon structure. The carbon atoms are arranged in layers, and the electrons within the layers are delocalized and can easily be affected by an external magnetic field. This results in a weak repulsion to the applied field, making it diamagnetic.

4. What are the applications of pyrolytic carbon's diamagnetic properties?

Pyrolytic carbon's diamagnetic properties make it useful in various applications, such as magnetic levitation, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in medical devices, such as heart valve replacements, due to its biocompatibility and low thrombogenicity.

5. Can pyrolytic carbon lose its diamagnetic properties?

No, pyrolytic carbon's diamagnetic properties are inherent to its unique carbon structure and cannot be lost. However, it can be affected by extreme temperatures and strong magnetic fields, which may temporarily reduce its diamagnetic behavior. But once the external factors are removed, it will return to its original state of exhibiting diamagnetism.