Diamond Planet, a woman's new best friend

In summary, Astronomers have discovered a planet just 4,000 light years away from Earth that is made of diamond. The planet, known as J1719-1438, is theorized to be a relic of a star that shed its outer layer to reveal its inner riches. It is just five times the size of Earth and orbits a star every 2 hours and 10 minutes. The discovery has sparked discussions about the value of diamonds and the potential for mining on this new planet. Some are already joking about giving it as a gift or using it as a ring. However, others are more interested in finding a planet made of other gemstones or even one with oceans of beer and fried chicken as the predominant life form.
lisab said:
Am I the only woman on the planet who thinks diamonds aren't a big deal?

My wife does not like to spend big on ornaments. All she has is a few pearl necklaces bought from ebay from china. Probably costs altogether less than $50.

Physics news on Phys.org
My wife was never big on jewelry, and has never owned a diamond, but thanks to my hobby, she owns and wears some of the most beautiful (and rare, in some cases) gemstones available, including Tsavorite - a deep green garnet found in Tsavo national park.

I had some faceted Tsavorite and high-quality Tanzanite in one of my gem flats when I visited a jeweler that I trusted and offered them to him at what I thought were fair prices. He told me that my prices needed to be a LOT higher, and that his clientele wouldn't understand what they were getting, anyway. Nice guy. When a jeweler tells you that your stone prices are far too low, and recommends another jeweler with more sophisticated, well-heeled customers, it's probably just good business to give him first dibs on stones in his specialty, which was Maine gems. Tourmaline, aquamarine, morganite (really rare), and amethyst were more up his alley.

The diamond's nice, but the engagement's off until they find a planet made of gold for the setting.

Sigh, as hard as I try I cannot find a planet that is made mainly of:

gold
silver
platinum
ruby
emerald
jade
tanzanite
aquamarine
moonstone
topaz
tiger's eye

or for you chemist's/physicists who prefer exotic radioactive isotope's

vanadium 50 (hehe...) with a half-life of 1.5×10 17 years

Rhody... :redface:

Planet Tiffany (you have a problem with the name I've given it?)
Heck yeah, I do! My name is Lady Di. Don't mess with royalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
hmm... no comments by women folk. Guys, pengy, turbo, Don, Astro, Chi, what do you think ?

Rhody...

Because they look delicious.

AND shiny

BloodyFrozen said:
Because they look delicious.

AND shiny

Then tell me, why don't they have the same effect on mankind versus woman kind, I know our brains are different, right ? Larger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_callosum" in female brains. Then again, maybe this has NOTHING to do with it at all... hehe...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: