Did i calculate the V/A/R of a plasma arc properly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of estimating the voltage, resistance, and amperage of the plasma arc produced by a Tesla Lighter. The individual in the conversation has not physically taken apart the device and is only using rough estimates for educational purposes. The estimated minimum voltage is 150,000 volts, the overall resistance is 2x10^12 ohms, and the amperage is 7.5x10^-8 amps. However, it is pointed out that this estimation does not take into account the fact that the air is ionized to plasma at high voltage, resulting in a lower resistance of about 100 volts. Additionally, the assumption that the arc is a straight line is questioned, as it actually follows
Thomas Conway
Hello there! So i am currently sitting in my EME class and have nothing to do, so i decided to try spit-balling the V/A/R of the plasma arc my Tesla Lighter produces. note that i did not physically take it apart, and my goal was just to get a rough estimate for the arc itself or at least get a minimum rating, not the circuit inside. Please tell me if i did something wrong or improperly assumed something, I am only afew months into this class and am still learning but here's how my logic follows:
Voltage- To get the minimum voltage i had to determine the length between the positive and negative ends that the arc stretches across which is 5 centimeters. I then did some research and found that it takes 3×10^6 V/m of air for an arc to jump across. I then divided that by 100 and multiplied by 5 to get 150,000 volts to stretch an arc 5 cm.

Resistance- To get the overall resistance i did some more research and found that air has a resistance of 4x10^13 ohms per meter (it varies a lot but this is probably a good range) and simply divided by 100 and multiplied by 5 again to get 2x10^12 ohms.

Amperage- Finally to find the amperage i used ohms law for I=E/R. I= 150,000 / (2x10^12) to get I=7.5x10^-8 amps.
So that sums up the process i used, please let me know if i did anything incorrect and if my reasoning was flawed. Just to re-iterate this is just a thought experiment and i am not going to use this line of educated assumption for anything besides food for thought. Thanks again!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes dlgoff

1. What is V/A/R of a plasma arc?

V/A/R stands for voltage, current, and resistance, which are the basic parameters used to measure a plasma arc.

2. Why is it important to calculate the V/A/R of a plasma arc?

Calculating the V/A/R of a plasma arc is important because it helps determine the efficiency and stability of the arc. It also helps ensure safety and prevent damage to equipment.

3. How do I calculate the V/A/R of a plasma arc?

The V/A/R of a plasma arc can be calculated by measuring the voltage, current, and resistance using a multimeter or other measuring devices, and then using the formula V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. What are some common mistakes when calculating the V/A/R of a plasma arc?

Some common mistakes include not using the correct units for voltage, current, and resistance, not taking into account the effects of temperature on the measurements, and not properly setting up the measuring devices.

5. Can I use the same V/A/R values for different types of plasma arcs?

No, the V/A/R values will vary depending on the type of plasma arc, as well as other factors such as gas composition, electrode material, and power supply. It is important to properly calculate the V/A/R for each specific plasma arc.