Did I make the wrong choice? - Grad School Advice

In summary, the individual has a background in math and physics but decided to pursue graduate school in engineering, specifically environmental engineering. They were accepted to multiple programs but only received one research position offer, leading them to attend the school where they were guaranteed a research position. However, they are now unsure about their chosen field and degree program, and are considering switching to a math-related field. They also have concerns about the accreditation of their degree and their career path. Their advisor has been supportive and encouraging, but they are seeking advice on how to proceed.
LostStudent1
My undergraduate degrees are in math and physics, but I decided to apply for graduate school in engineering (specifically environmental engineering). I was lucky enough to be accepted to almost all of the programs I applied to, but I only received one research position offer (that would pay for my tuition and provide a stipend). I decided to attend the school where I was guaranteed a research position even though it wasn’t my top choice. Over the summer I was able to start on my research. I have no previous research experience, and the type of research I am doing is life-cycle assessment (so it’s all sitting in an office at a desk). I had a tough time over the summer because it was hard for me to meet people, and I wasn’t enjoying the work I was doing (and I was working 30-40 hours a week).

Classes have just started, and I have met some more people, but I am still not super interested in what I am studying or researching. Since starting my research over the summer I keep thinking that I should have chosen to study math instead of engineering. I have always like math, but I guess I didn’t really think I could do anything with it. I have realized that I really don’t know much about the field of environmental engineering (or engineering) like what I could even really do with my degree. I am also not sure what type of work I want to do. On top of that, I feel like I made a decision without really thinking because I found out my degree is not actually in environmental engineering, but in civil engineering, and it’s not accredited, so I would have to take the FE and apply for accreditation (which I am not so fond of).

I keep feeling like I made the wrong choice (on area of study, in degree program, and maybe even in university). I don’t want to bail on my advisor though because I think she likes the work that I am doing. She applied for a fellowship on my behalf (which I won for my first year of grad school), she wants me to apply for the NSF GRFP, and other fellowships, and has brought up continuing on for a PhD several times already. I thought graduate school was the right choice because I felt like I could achieve more academically, and also work more on figuring out my career path.

Do you have any advice for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
LostStudent1 said:
Do you have any advice for me?
Put some serious thought into your situation, decide what you want to do and then do it.

Seriously, there is virtually nothing in your post that we can offer advice on (beyond perhaps the technical issues of accreditation and the FE). This is all about your choices about what you want -- and we aren't in your head, so there is no way for us to know. We can only answer questions about things like job prospects for a certain degree, qualifications for a job, etc.

Likes DrSteve

1. What factors should I consider when evaluating whether I made the wrong choice in graduate school?

There are several important factors to consider when evaluating your decision to attend graduate school. These may include your career goals, financial considerations, academic interests, and personal motivations. It is important to reflect on these factors and assess whether they align with your current experience in graduate school.

2. How can I determine if I am struggling in graduate school because I made the wrong choice?

If you are struggling in graduate school, it is important to first identify the root cause of your difficulties. This may involve speaking with a mentor or advisor, seeking support from classmates or a counselor, or evaluating your own personal goals and motivations. If you find that your struggles are directly related to your choice of graduate program, it may be worth considering if it is the right fit for you.

3. Is it common to have doubts about my decision to attend graduate school?

It is completely normal to have doubts and uncertainties about your decision to attend graduate school. This is a big commitment and it is natural to question whether it is the right path for you. It is important to address these doubts and seek support from others, but also remember that feeling unsure is a common experience for many graduate students.

4. What steps can I take if I believe I made the wrong choice in graduate school?

If you have evaluated your situation and believe that you made the wrong choice in graduate school, there are several steps you can take. You may consider speaking with your advisor or mentor about your concerns, exploring other career options or programs, seeking counseling or support, and developing a plan to make a change if necessary.

5. How can I prevent making the wrong choice in graduate school in the future?

To prevent making the wrong choice in graduate school, it is important to thoroughly research and consider your options before committing to a program. This may involve talking to current students or alumni, attending graduate school fairs, researching faculty and program offerings, and considering your personal goals and motivations. It can also be helpful to seek advice from trusted mentors or advisors. Remember that it is okay to change your plans if you find that a program is not the right fit for you.