Dielectric constant, dispersion and response of the medium

In summary, the conversation revolved around a PhD student's study on the influence of a gain medium on spectral linewidth of light in a fiber cavity. The student encountered a formula (A3) in a paper and was unsure of how to derive it. The formula involved the expansion of the right hand side to the first derivative, which the student was unsure of the justification for. The student had searched for references but was not able to find a helpful explanation. However, the student later found the justification on their own and thanked everyone who attempted to assist.
riharenda009
TL;DR Summary
Electric flux density in a dispersive medium.
Hello,

for my PhD, I've been studying an influence of a gain medium on spectral linewidth of light inside a fiber cavity. I've encountered a formula in one paper to which I don't how to get to (see screenshot), it's the formula (A3).
Screenshot 2022-10-18 092917.png

On the left hand side there is electric flux density, the right hand side is expanded to the first derivative. I'm not sure what justifies the expansion and how you can get to it. You can find the whole paper here, but the formula (A3) stands separtely in the text.

I've performed my own search already, found only this, but didn't help me to derive/justify (A3).

I would really appreciate the explanation or to be directed to right references.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the justification by myself, thanks everyone who attempted to tackle it.

1. What is the dielectric constant of a medium?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how well a material can store electrical energy within an electric field. It is defined as the ratio of the electric flux density in a vacuum to the electric flux density in the medium.

2. How does the dielectric constant affect the behavior of a medium?

The dielectric constant determines the ability of a material to polarize in response to an applied electric field. This polarization leads to the formation of an induced electric field, which can affect the overall behavior of the medium, such as its capacitance and conductivity.

3. What is dispersion in the context of dielectric materials?

Dispersion refers to the variation in the dielectric constant of a material with respect to the frequency of the applied electric field. This phenomenon is caused by the different speeds at which different frequencies of light travel through a material, resulting in a frequency-dependent dielectric constant.

4. How is the dielectric constant related to the refractive index of a medium?

The refractive index of a medium is directly proportional to the square root of its dielectric constant. This means that materials with a higher dielectric constant will have a higher refractive index, which affects the speed at which light travels through the material.

5. Can the dielectric constant of a medium change?

Yes, the dielectric constant of a material can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. This change in the dielectric constant can also affect the behavior of the medium, such as its ability to conduct electricity.