Is this algorithm stable? (time dependent diffusion equation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the time dependent diffusion equation in one dimension using an explicit scheme with finite difference in the time variable. The equation being solved involves diffusion and absorption coefficients, and the solution is obtained using a matrix multiplication method. The stability of the scheme is analyzed using a discrete Fourier transform, but it is found that the scheme is not stable in all cases. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using an implicit scheme, which is found to work better.
Telemachus
Hi there. I was trying to solve the time dependent diffusion equation in only one dimension. I derived a explicit scheme using a finite difference in the time variable. The equation I am trying to solve is:

##\displaystyle \frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial \phi(x,t)}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( \kappa(x)\frac{\partial \phi(x,t)}{\partial x} \right) +\mu_a(x)\phi(x,t)=q(x,t)##.

I have used only an initial configuration to propagate: ##\phi(x,t=0)=\phi(x)=-\frac{3}{200}x^4+15x##
I am also manufacturing analytic solutions, the solution I've proposed is: ##\phi(x,t)=e^{-t}\left(-\frac{3}{200}x^4+15x\right)##

I use this solution to obtain the source on the right hand side of the diffusion equation, so then I have the analytic solution for that source. I've used inhomogeneus diffusion and absorption coefficients:

##\kappa(x)=\frac{x}{900}##
##\mu_a(x)=0.01\left(1+\frac{x}{10}\right)##

I've used an integral in the space variable such that: ##f(x_j)=f_j=\frac{1}{\Delta x_j} \int_{x_{j-1/2}}^{x_{j+1/2}}f(x)dx##.

where ##\Delta x_j=x_{j+1/2}-x_{j-1/2}=\Delta x\, \forall j##. This space discretization worked fine for the time independent equation, giving very good results even in very coarse grids.

According to a paper, with this spatial scheme and a forward, or backward finite difference in the time variable, the algorithm should be stable.

The explicit scheme looks at the end like this, for ##x_j=(j-1)\Delta x##, ##x_{j+1/2}=x_j+\frac{\Delta x}{2}## and ##t=(m-1)\Delta t##:

##\phi_j^{m+1} = \phi_j^{m} + c \Delta t \left[ q_j^m+\frac{1}{\Delta x^2} \left\{ \kappa_{j+1/2} ( \phi_{j+1}^m-\phi_j^m )-\kappa_{j-1/2} (\phi_j^m-\phi_{j-1}^m ) \right\}-\mu_{a,j} \phi_j^m \right]##

It wasn't really necessary, but as I was planning to work on implicit methods after this, I wrote the equation in matrix form, and solved it using matrix multiplication:

##\displaystyle \vec{\phi}^{m+1}=\left[\mathbb{\hat{1}}+c\Delta t \left( \hat A- \hat e_i \otimes \vec{\mu_a}\right) \right] \vec\phi^m+c\Delta t \vec{q}^m##.

I did a stability analysis using a discrete Fourier transform, but I couldn't get the dispersion relation, because I couldn't get the amplitudes separated in the equation, but the result I've got made me think that this scheme wasn't actually stable. When I wrote the code, and run it, it didn't seem to converge pretty well, I obtain some nonphysical negative scalar flux in the numeric solution:

?temp_hash=d831d2a251d215d3aa63cb93e650af06.png

In the left is the analytic solution, and in the right the numerical. You can see that at the boundaries I have some negative values. I didn't use boundary conditions in the space variable, but I think I could do that, and fix the values at those points. The parameters I've used in this case are:

N= 10 M= 50 xmax=:10.000 dx= 1.0000 tmax=5.0000 dt= 0.10000 c= 10.000

N is the number of points in space, M the number of points in time. That solution looks fine, but if I use other values of c, it gets much worse. The solution blows up after some times steps. I thought of using more points, a finner grid, but instead of getting better, it gets actually worse, which really surprised me.

Here I plot for the same grid and c=1, and c=100:

?temp_hash=d831d2a251d215d3aa63cb93e650af06.png

This last case is, in the left the analytical again, and in the right the numerical with:
N= 10 M= 400 xmax=:10.000 dx= 1.0000 tmax=5.0000 dt= 1.25000E-02c= 50.000

screenshot-from-2017-06-01-17-29-54-png.png

I didn't show it, but for other grids the solution explodes exponentially fast, I can't plot those cases.

When I tried to use the Von Neumann criteria for stability I got this expression for the dispersion relation:

##A(k)^2 = \displaystyle \left[ -\left(\kappa_{j+1/2}+\kappa_{j-1/2} \right) \cos(x)+ \kappa_{j+1/2}+\kappa_{j-1/2}-1+c\Delta t \frac{q(k)^m}{A(k)^m} - \mu_a(k) \right]^2+ \left(\kappa_{j+1/2}-\kappa_{j-1/2} \right)\sin^2(x)##.

The last term I think that can be dropped for smooth ##\kappa##. But I'm not sure what conclusion to arrive with this last expression. It makes me think this isn't stable, on the one side because I don't think this is bounded to one. If there is stability, it must be conditioned stability and I don't know how to get the constraints from this expression. From the numerical experimentation there is clearly cases where this algorithm doesn't seem to be stable. The paper just mention the possibility of using a finite difference in time, but there are no citations, and actually uses other discretization, but pretty much complicated for the problem that it treats. I thought of starting with a explicit scheme because it is much simpler from an algebraic point of view.

I hoped to have some stability criteria that looked like some sort of Courant-Friedrichs-Lewy:

##\displaystyle \frac{c\kappa(x)\Delta t}{\Delta x} \leq 1##.

But I think that it is more complicated than that.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-06-01 17-20-03.png
    Screenshot from 2017-06-01 17-20-03.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 457
  • 2.png
    2.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 460
  • Screenshot from 2017-06-01 17-29-54.png
    Screenshot from 2017-06-01 17-29-54.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 542
Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I had a silly mistake in the program. However, I still having some negatives values at x=0, but the program is much more stable. I have to ask a more mathematical question now, do I have to provide boundary conditions ##\phi(x=0,t)## and ##\phi(x=10,t)\; \forall t## or with the initial condition it should suffice ##\phi(x,t=0)##?

Well, it worked after all. I had some other mistakes. I could propagate a vacuum with a delta source in space in time, and also relaxated a step function.

Here is the step function relaxed in time:

?temp_hash=16f2caed70bef5dfc0c330dfb69618e3.png

Due to the inhomogeneus diffusion and absorption it looks physically a reasonable solution.

Now I have written an implicit scheme which works better. This explicit scheme seems to have conditional stability, the usal Courant-Friedrichs-Lewy.

Attachments

• numericalc1.png
    numericalc1.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 451
Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is stability in an algorithm?

Stability in an algorithm refers to the ability of the algorithm to produce consistent and accurate results over time, even when there are small changes or errors in the input data. A stable algorithm will not produce drastically different results for similar inputs, ensuring the reliability of the overall process.

2. How do you determine if an algorithm is stable?

To determine the stability of an algorithm, you can perform a stability analysis. This involves analyzing the behavior of the algorithm over time and identifying any instabilities or errors that may occur. A common approach is to use mathematical techniques, such as the Von Neumann stability analysis, to assess the stability of an algorithm.

3. What is a time-dependent diffusion equation?

A time-dependent diffusion equation is a mathematical model used to describe the change in concentration or density of a substance over time, as it diffuses through a medium. It takes into account factors such as the initial concentration, diffusion coefficient, and the properties of the medium to predict the behavior of the substance over time.

4. How is stability related to time-dependent diffusion equations?

Stability is crucial in time-dependent diffusion equations because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of the predicted results. If an algorithm used to solve the equation is unstable, it can lead to incorrect and unreliable predictions of the behavior of the substance over time.

5. What are the consequences of using an unstable algorithm in a time-dependent diffusion equation?

If an unstable algorithm is used to solve a time-dependent diffusion equation, it can lead to inaccurate and unreliable results. This can have serious consequences, especially in fields where precise and accurate predictions are crucial, such as in weather forecasting, chemical reactions, and drug delivery systems.