Difference between direct sum and direct product

In summary, there is often confusion between the terms direct sum and direct product in mathematics, particularly in the context of group theory and quantum mechanics. While they can refer to the same concept, they are used to emphasize different underlying structures. The direct product can also be misleadingly used to refer to a tensor product, which can cause further confusion.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading something about applications of group theory in quantum mechanics and I got confused about the difference between direct sum and direct product. In many places I found that they mean the same thing. However, the ways I found them defined in the book I read from, seem to be different, even if they use the same mathematical symbol to represent the 2 of them. I attached the 2 ways they are defined in the book. So according to these definitions, if I understand it right, If A is 2x2 and B is 3x3, the direct sum will be 5x5 and the direct product will be 6x6, which are obviously not the same thing. So, can anyone explain this to me please? Thank you!

Attachments

• DirectSum.png
    DirectSum.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 852
  • DirectProduct.png
    DirectProduct.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,697
Physics news on Phys.org
What is called a direct product here is misleading. It should better be named what it is: a tensor product.
A direct product and a direct sum are really often the same and are used to emphasize on the underlying structure. With additive structures like vector spaces, rings, algebras and here mappings one usually uses direct sum. On multiplicative structures like groups one may use direct product. The direct product can also be the cartesian product of sets. E.g.: Addition in a vector space ##V## is a function from the direct product ##V \times V## - here the cartesian product of pairs - onto ##V##. And the direct sum ##V \oplus V## is the set of all pairs added: ##V \oplus V = \{ u + v \, | \, u,v \in V\}##

Normally it is clear by the context it is used in.
However, the term direct product for a tensor product - only to distinguish between the direct sum of mappings and the tensor product - is rather unfortunate.

Last edited:

What is the difference between direct sum and direct product?

The main difference between direct sum and direct product is the way they combine elements. In a direct sum, elements are combined in a way that preserves their individuality, while in a direct product, elements are combined in a way that creates new elements.

How are direct sum and direct product represented mathematically?

In mathematics, a direct sum is represented using the symbol ⊕, while a direct product is represented using the symbol ×. For example, the direct sum of sets A and B would be written as A ⊕ B, while the direct product of sets A and B would be written as A × B.

What is an example of a direct sum?

An example of a direct sum is the set of even and odd numbers. The even numbers and odd numbers are combined in a way that preserves their individuality, meaning that each number in the set can be identified as either even or odd.

What is an example of a direct product?

An example of a direct product is the set of ordered pairs (x, y), where x represents the set of even numbers and y represents the set of odd numbers. In this case, the ordered pairs create new elements, as each pair is a unique combination of an even and odd number.

What are the applications of direct sum and direct product?

Direct sum and direct product have applications in various fields of mathematics, including linear algebra and abstract algebra. They are also used in computer science, particularly in the field of group theory, to study the properties of groups. In addition, direct sum and direct product have applications in physics, such as in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics.