Difference between flare, CME and SPEs

• Thread starter Jairo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, a malign flare is a flare that could be dangerous to astronauts. It takes into account new features, such as the flux, to make a classification.
Jairo
I read that coronal mass ejections and flares are independent things that can cause solar particle events. The particles emitted by the first travels at about 1,000km/s and can reach us in days, while the particles emitted by the last travels at near light speed and can reach us in minutes. Besides that, as I noticed that the most dangerous SPEs are often associated with flares, I suppose CMEs offer smaller radiation doses in average.

And according with what I read, I suppose that the X-ray emission of the flare is not a concern for someone in deep space, when compared with the SPE it can produce. I would like to confirm those things.

I have found great information about equivalent doses for galactic cosmic rays and some major SPEs of the past, but info on internet is somewhat oversimplified when the matter is to tell the differences between flares, CMEs, SPEs, and the risk each one offers to someone in deep space, considering their strength and likeliness to happen.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You should try to define what you mean by "deep space". Of course the X-ray content of very strong flares would be damaging to a person in Earth if that person wouldn't be protected by Earth's athmosphere. In fact, communication satellites are damaged when a malign flare occurs. But the X-ray content of solar flares will not affect to a person "in deep space" if "deep space" means for example, a comoving radial distance of 20 Gly

The strongest solar flare ever recorded was rated as X28, and ocurred in 2003
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/xtreme_flare_031105.html

Neutron stars can also produce flares. Neutron star flares are now candidates to mini GRBs
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0502052

Last edited:
By deep space I mean outside Van Allen belts.

I would like to add one more question: I have heard about the Helen Dodson Prince classification for flares,

http://ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/SOLAR/ftpsolarflares.html#cfi
(botton of the page)

wich can range from 1 to 17. It takes several new features in account if compared with the usual 1-8A W/m2 flux. I´m interested in flares which might be dangerous to astronauts. Is that classification a good one for that matter? What would be a "malign flare" in that scale?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone **** ten times in fifteen hours?

Related to Difference between flare, CME and SPEs

1. What is the difference between a flare, a CME, and a SPE?

A flare is a sudden and intense release of energy on the surface of the sun, resulting in a burst of electromagnetic radiation. A CME (coronal mass ejection) is a large eruption of plasma and magnetic fields from the sun's corona, often associated with flares. SPEs (solar particle events) are bursts of high-energy particles from the sun, also typically associated with flares.

2. How are flares, CMEs, and SPEs measured?

Flares are measured using X-ray detectors, while CMEs are measured using coronagraphs, which block out the bright light from the sun's surface to reveal the fainter outer atmosphere. SPEs are measured using detectors on spacecraft, which can detect the high-energy particles coming from the sun.

3. What causes flares, CMEs, and SPEs?

All three phenomena are caused by disruptions in the sun's magnetic field. Flares and CMEs are often triggered by the collision or reconnection of magnetic field lines, while SPEs are caused by the acceleration of particles along these magnetic field lines.

4. How do flares, CMEs, and SPEs impact Earth?

Flares and CMEs can disrupt radio communications and satellite operations, as well as cause auroras and radiation storms in Earth's atmosphere. SPEs can also cause radiation storms and pose a potential hazard to astronauts and spacecraft in orbit.

5. Can we predict when flares, CMEs, and SPEs will occur?

Scientists can monitor the sun and its magnetic activity to make predictions about when flares, CMEs, and SPEs may occur. However, these events can be unpredictable and may require further study to improve our ability to forecast them accurately.