Difference between G and gravitational accleration

In summary: I will be careful with the notations. Your explanation was really helpful and made things clear.Thank you once again.In summary, the gravitational constant G is a constant of matter and is not the same as the gravitational acceleration g, which is the acceleration produced by a certain amount of mass at a distance r. It is important to be careful with notations when reading equations related to gravity.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

F=G m1.m2/r^2

whereas g=Gm/r^2

Now, I found reading that, the Mass of Earth, radius from the center r and obviously the gravitational constant is always constant and hence is grouped under a single constant 'g'.

Hence: F=mg, where g=GM/r^2

Now, while calculating gravitation potential energy we do:

U=mgr, so U=M(Gm/r^2)r , where r = is the distance and hence forth, do the calculation...

Somewhere else is is written g=Gm/r^2 is 'gravitational acceleration'.

Which one is the case?

If you can please explain it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "r"'s in the relations you list each mean different things.

Define
R: the radius of the Earth,
r: distance from the center of the Earth
h: distance from the surface of the Earth
... so that h=r-R

Then, the acceleration due to gravity (by F=ma) is: $$a_g=\frac{GM}{r^2}$$
It is usually easier to measure distances from the surface of the Earth ... so we can rewrite that: $$a_g=-\frac{GM}{(R+h)^2} =\frac{GM}{R^2(1+\frac{h}{R})^2}\\ \qquad =g(1+h/R)^{-2}$$ ... where ##g## is defined by: $$g=\frac{GM}{R^2}$$
If ##h <\! < R##, then ##(1+h/R)\approx 1## making ##a_g\approx g##, so ##g## is the (gravitational) acceleration of objects close to the surface of the Earth ...

For gravitational potential energy: $$U=-\frac{GMm}{r}=-\frac{GMm}{R+h} = -\frac{GMmR}{R^2(1+h/R)} = -\frac{mgR}{1+h/R}$$ ... so for h<<R, the gravitational potential energy for a mass ##m## is ##U=mgR##

This is for ##U(r)=0## when ##r=\infty## - which is where the minus sign comes from.
But the choice of ##U=0## is arbitrary - if we choose ##U=0## when ##r=R## then we can find an expression for ##U## in terms of ##h##. When you crunch those numbers you get: ##U(h)\approx mgh: h<\! <R## ... you should be able to show that now.

Ok, let me approach it in this way:

F=ma, then a=F/m. From this equation, a =GM/r^2. I might be asking you the wrong answer: Is it that F=GM?

shounakbhatta said:
F=ma, then a=F/m. From this equation, a =GM/r^2. I might be asking you the wrong answer: Is it that F=GM?
No. You are still not being careful about defining your variables.

Close to the surface of the Earth, the force of gravity is F≈mg, where g=GM/R^2 ... the approximation is so good that for most purposes we can write F=mg.

Because F=ma, as well, you can write (F=mg)=ma therefore you see that a=g.

This applies only close to the surface of the Earth ... i.e. where ##|r-R| <\! < R##.

If this is not the case then the acceleration will be some fraction of g.

---------------------
I have been working in magnitudes here - force is actually a vector.
Newton's law should be ##\sum \vec F = m\vec a##
... and the force of gravity close to the surface of the Earth is ##\vec F_g=-mg\hat{k}##
(where ##\hat{k}## is a unit vector pointing upwards).

For an object moving under gravity alone - $$\sum \vec F = \vec F_g = m\vec{a}\\ \implies \vec{a}=-g\hat{k}$$ ... which may make more sense.

Last edited:
Ok, let me try to put it correctly.

F=mg. Putting it into the equation F=G m1m2/r^2, we get mg=Gm1m2/r^2, so g=Gm/r^2.

Is that so that we get it?

F=mg. Putting it into the equation F=G m1m2/r^2, we get mg=Gm1m2/r^2, so g=Gm/r^2.
Nope - you don't seem to be paying attention: I have already answered this question.

By definition: $$g=\frac{GM}{R^2}$$... where ##G## is the gravitational constant, ##R## is the mean radius of the Earth at the equator, and ##M## is the mass of the Earth.

In general $$\frac{GMm}{r^2}\neq mg$$... where ##r>R## is any distance from the Earth.

The complete equation for gravity due to the Earth is:
$$\vec F=\left\{ \begin{array}{rll}
-\frac{GMmr}{R^3}\hat{r} & = -\frac{mg}{R}\vec{r} &: r<R\\
-\frac{GMm}{R^2}\hat{r} & = -\frac{mg}{r}\vec r &: r=R\\
-\frac{GMm}{r^2}\hat{r} & = -\frac{mgR^2}{r^3}\vec{r} &: r > R\end{array}\right.$$... where ##\hat{r}=\vec r/ r## is a unit vector pointing in the same direction as ##\vec{r}##.

In terms of magnitudes - it's simpler:
$$F=\left\{ \begin{array}{cl}\frac{mgr}{R} & :r<R\\ mg & :r=R\\ \frac{mgR^2}{r^2} & : r>R\end{array}\right.$$
... so now: what was your question?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Nothing. Understood. Thank you very much. Got clear.

shounakbhatta said:
Hello,

F=G m1.m2/r^2

whereas g=Gm/r^2
I think you answered your own question. G is a constant of matter, sort of like the charge on an electron or similar. g is the acceleration produced on another object by a certain amount of matter m, at a distance r. In other words, g is (amount of mass × the G constant per unit mass) / distance2. G is a factor in g, but not vice versa. Look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

And as Simon said, be careful when reading gravitational force equations in random texts. Some of them are written in reference to "inertial space", some in reference to one of the bodies (either its center or its surface). It may not be obvious, until you have looked at a lot of these, which is which.

Hello tfr000,

Thank you very much for the response.

The links are really helpful.

1. What is the difference between G and gravitational acceleration?

G, also known as the gravitational constant, is a universal constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. On the other hand, gravitational acceleration is the acceleration caused by the force of gravity on an object near the surface of the Earth. Essentially, G is a constant value while gravitational acceleration can vary depending on the location and mass of the object.

2. How are G and gravitational acceleration related?

G and gravitational acceleration are related through the equation F = ma, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. G is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects, while gravitational acceleration is used to calculate the acceleration experienced by an object due to gravity.

3. Why is G considered a constant?

G is considered a constant because it does not change regardless of the location or mass of the objects involved. It is a fundamental constant of nature that remains the same in all gravitational interactions.

4. How is G measured?

G is measured through experiments involving the force of gravity between two known masses. One of the most famous experiments was conducted by Henry Cavendish in 1797, where he measured the gravitational force between two lead spheres using a torsion balance. The value of G has been refined over the years through various experiments and is currently known to be approximately 6.67430 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2.

5. Can G and gravitational acceleration ever be equal?

No, G and gravitational acceleration can never be equal. As mentioned earlier, G is a constant value while gravitational acceleration is dependent on the mass and location of the objects. The only way they could be equal is if the mass of one of the objects is zero, which is not possible in most cases.