Difference between Gravitational Force and Gravity?

In summary, the difference between gravitational force and gravity lies in the way they are defined and modeled. In the Newtonian model, gravity is seen as a force that causes objects to accelerate, while in the model of general relativity, there is no force but rather a curvature of space-time that causes objects to move in curved trajectories. Both models can be used to accurately predict the effects of gravity, so it is a matter of choosing the most appropriate model for a given situation.
K00lDudE1
What is the difference between the gravitational force and gravity?

Because I was under the impression that gravity is not a force, but one of the 4 fundamental forces of nature is the gravitational force, so I was wondering what the difference between the two is?

Physics news on Phys.org
K00lDudE1 said:
What is the difference between the gravitational force and gravity?

Because I was under the impression that gravity is not a force, but one of the 4 fundamental forces of nature is the gravitational force, so I was wondering what the difference between the two is?
If you are trying to ask whether gravity really is or is not a force then there is no answer. We can model the effects of gravity using the Newtonian model. In this model, there is a gravitational force that causes objects to accelerate against a background Euclidean coordinate system with 3 dimensions of space and one independent dimension of time.

Or we can model the effects of gravity using the model of general relativity. In this model there is no gravitational force. Objects subject to no non-gravitational influences move in straight line trajectories (geodesics) which appear curved against a background geometry which is not Euclidean and which conforms to the Einstein Field Equations.

To the extent that both models give the same predictions for the same experimental setup, it is pointless to ask which model is "really" correct. Pick whichever one provides the best computational simplicity for the needed accuracy for the task at hand and leave the rest to the philosophers.

Likes lekh2003, QuantumQuest and Bystander
K00lDudE1 said:
It's a different meaning of "force":
- The "(Newtonian) force of gravity" refers to a very specific model.
- A "Fundamental force" refers to an interaction, in a more general sense.

What is the difference between Gravitational Force and Gravity?

Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass, while gravity is the natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are drawn towards each other. In other words, gravitational force is a measurable force, while gravity is an inherent property of matter.

How are Gravitational Force and Gravity related?

Gravitational force and gravity are directly related, as gravity is the force that causes objects to experience gravitational force. Without gravity, there would be no force of attraction between objects with mass.

Is Gravitational Force the same as Weight?

No, gravitational force and weight are not the same. Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object, while gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. Weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity, while gravitational force remains constant.

How does Gravitational Force affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational force is responsible for the motion of objects in our universe. It is what keeps planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around planets. Without gravitational force, objects would continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed.

Can Gravitational Force be measured?

Yes, gravitational force can be measured using Newton's law of universal gravitation. This law states that the force of gravitational attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, the greater the mass of the objects and the closer they are, the greater the gravitational force between them.