Difference between Lithium Ion and Nickel Metal Hydride

In summary, a timed charge controller for a NiMH or NiCad battery is a totally different animal from a 3 phase charge system for Li-ion. A li-ion charger starts with a small charge current until the battery reaches a low voltage threshold, then applies a constant current (usually 0.1C) until it reaches precisely 4.2V (+- 50mV), then maintains exactly 4.2V by progressively reducing the charge current until the current is below a "fully charged" threshold. Then the charger stops charging. Too much current, or too high a current, then you damage the battery or it catches fire. Not enough current, then it takes forever to charge. Not enough voltage and it doesn't reach full charge
Infinityze
Obviously there are MANY differences, but I'm curious about one in particular.

In an article I read, the creator used NiMH batteries because of their high charge density, but also because they do not require a charge controller and voltage regulator in the circuitry. Why is this, and is there any way a Lithium Ion battery can also function without a charge controller/voltage regulator?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many modern batteries can be damaged if used incorrectly. Some (not commercial ones I hope) might even burn/explode.

The lithium ion battery has a problem of lithium metal build up at high current discharge. Lithium is a very reactive metal and can burn easily.

Disabling safety devices is dangerous/stupid/a no-no. That would include using a battery inappropriately.

Infinityze said:
In an article I read, the creator used NiMH batteries because of their high charge density, but also because they do not require a charge controller and voltage regulator in the circuitry.

is it a reliable source ?? for me that statement if false
all NiCds and Ni Metal Hydrides I have ever owned have timed charge controllers

davenn said:
is it a reliable source ?? for me that statement if false
all NiCds and Ni Metal Hydrides I have ever owned have timed charge controllers

It's from a peer reviewed journal entry, but it's ~10 years old.

A timed charge controller for a NiMH or NiCad battery is a totally different animal from a 3 phase charge system for Li-ion.

A li-ion charger starts with a small charge current until the battery reaches a low voltage threshold, then applies a constant current (usually 0.1C) until it reaches precisely 4.2V (+- 50mV), then maintains exactly 4.2V by progressively reducing the charge current until the current is below a "fully charged" threshold. Then the charger stops charging.

Too much current, or too high a current, then you damage the battery or it catches fire.
Not enough current, then it takes forever to charge.
Not enough voltage and it doesn't reach full charge.

Likes Infinityze, Jeff Rosenbury and davenn
meBigGuy said:
A li-ion charger starts with a small charge current until the battery reaches a low voltage threshold, then applies a constant current (usually 0.1C) until it reaches precisely 4.2V (+- 50mV), then maintains exactly 4.2V by progressively reducing the charge current until the current is below a "fully charged" threshold. Then the charger stops charging.

The same article said that such a charge controller would take up a lot of power. Is there any information on exactly how much?

It's not good to reference articles without linking to them. It is very possible you are misunderstanding or mis quoting.

Read this:
http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2012/sep/a-designers-guide-to-lithium-battery-charging

And then this:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq2000.pdfThe charger efficiency depends on how the charger is implemented. A linear current source (using a transistor to drop the voltage to the proper voltage to maintain the current) would waste power by the ratio of the source voltage to the battery voltage since all the voltage dropped across the pass transistor times the constant current would be wasted power. Chargers for other technologies have a similar issue if a wasteful linear controllers is used.

A switching regulator is pretty efficient.

As for the efficiency of the chemical process itself, I think it is pretty good in all cases since the battery doesn't heat up a lot, but I don't know the numbers off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn

What is the difference between Lithium Ion and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries?

Lithium Ion and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are both rechargeable batteries commonly used in electronic devices. However, they differ in their chemical composition and performance.

Which battery has a higher energy density?

Lithium Ion batteries have a higher energy density compared to Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. This means they can store more energy in a smaller and lighter package.

Which battery has a longer lifespan?

Lithium Ion batteries have a longer lifespan compared to Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. They can be charged and discharged more times without significant loss of capacity.

Which battery is more environmentally friendly?

Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are considered more environmentally friendly compared to Lithium Ion batteries. This is because they do not contain toxic materials like cobalt and are easier to recycle.

Which battery is more commonly used in electronic devices?

Lithium Ion batteries are more commonly used in electronic devices due to their higher energy density and longer lifespan. They are also more expensive than Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, making them a preferred choice for manufacturers.