Difference between reverse bias and forward bias for a photodiode

In summary: A photo diode is forward biased when current flows through the diode normally. If there is no light incident on the photodiode, very little current flows in the reverse direction. When light illuminates the reverse-biased photodiode, a reverse "photocurrent" flows, and this can be amplified to provide the signal that you want to use in your light detection circuit.
Irfan Nafi
I'm creating a project where the motors have to be triggered by a photodiode. A light provides a steady stream of current to the photodiode and when that incident light is scattered, the motors move. But in reverse bias a photodiode needs to have a dark environment to provide 'infinite resistance' and only allows current to pass if light is shone upon it, opposite of what I need accomplished. I don't have the schematics of the apparatus yet. Does forward bias of a phototdiode perform the task of a reverse bias photiodiode oppositely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since this is more of a concept question than a homework problem, I'm moving the thread to the Electrical Engineering technical forum where the details of how a photodiode operates can be discussed.

Likes Irfan Nafi
Irfan Nafi said:
I'm creating a project where the motors have to be triggered by a photodiode. A light provides a steady stream of current to the photodiode and when that incident light is scattered, the motors move. But in reverse bias a photodiode needs to have a dark environment to provide 'infinite resistance' and only allows current to pass if light is shone upon it, opposite of what I need accomplished. I don't have the schematics of the apparatus yet. Does forward bias of a phototdiode perform the task of a reverse bias photiodiode oppositely?
Photo diodes pass very small currents and you might be better using a Light Dependent Resistor.

Likes Irfan Nafi
tech99 said:
Photo diodes pass very small currents and you might be better using a Light Dependent Resistor.
Would an infrared LED work (for the corresponding photodiode)?

Irfan Nafi said:
Would an infrared LED work (for the corresponding photodiode)?
Photo diodes pass currents of microamps, so that an amplifier will be needed to drive the motor. On the other hand, an LDR might just drive the motor directly, or with very little gain. I think LEDs are OK when used as photo diodes.

Could you assist me with the code (ardunio)?

Irfan Nafi said:
This is not really correct. If you read more about photodiodes (like on wikipedia), you should get a better idea of how they work.

Basically, you usually use a photodiode in reverse bias. When there is no light incident on the photodiode, very little current flows in the reverse direction (just a leakage or "dark" current). When light illuminates the reverse-biased photodiode, a reverse "photocurrent" flows, and this can be amplified to provide the signal that you want to use in your light detection circuit. Something like this:

http://www.electronics-tutorial.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/I_to_V3.png
I_to_V3.png

How can I use an LDR to trigger the servo? If the LDR detects a decrease of light how can I use that to make the servo perform its task?

Irfan Nafi said:
A light provides a steady stream of current to the photodiode and when that incident light is scattered, the motors move.
What do you mean by scattered? Do you mean blocked, bright or dim?

If you need to turn on motor current when it gets dark, and reverse motor current when it gets light then you can change the motor switching circuit or software to “invert the signal polarity” of the output. It has nothing to do with the bias of the photodiode that is used to detect the light.

A diode is forward biassed when current flows through the diode normally, with a voltage drop of about 0.6 volts for a silicon diode. That is also called photo-voltaic mode and is used for solar power panels.
A reverse biassed diode does not conduct normally, except it has a very small leakage current. But if light shines on the reverse biassed diode junction the light causes a higher current to flow. That is also called photo-conductive mode and is used for optical data communications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodiode

Before we can give you specific advice on a simple reliable circuit solution, we need a better idea of what changes the light levels and how big the motors are. Do your motors need to gradually open and close something to maintain the light level, or are you making something that must operate a door based on some light level.

Your mention of programming an Arduino suggests you will have some programmable logic between the light sensor and the motor. That makes the bias of the photodiode signal quite independent of the motor power.

Likes Irfan Nafi

1. What is the definition of reverse bias and forward bias for a photodiode?

Reverse bias is when the voltage applied to a photodiode is in the opposite direction of its natural flow of current, while forward bias is when the voltage is applied in the same direction as the current flow.

2. How do reverse bias and forward bias affect the behavior of a photodiode?

When a photodiode is reverse biased, it will have a high resistance and will not allow much current to flow through. This results in low sensitivity and a small photocurrent. On the other hand, when a photodiode is forward biased, it will have a low resistance and allow more current to flow through, resulting in high sensitivity and a larger photocurrent.

3. What are the applications of reverse bias and forward bias in photodiodes?

Reverse bias is commonly used in photodiodes for their normal operation, as it allows for precise control of the photocurrent. Forward bias, on the other hand, is used for certain applications, such as in photovoltaic cells, where the goal is to generate a large amount of current.

4. How do reverse bias and forward bias affect the dark current in a photodiode?

Reverse bias increases the dark current in a photodiode, while forward bias decreases it. This is because reverse bias allows for more free charges to be generated, resulting in a higher dark current, while forward bias reduces the number of free charges, leading to a lower dark current.

5. Are there any risks associated with using reverse bias and forward bias in photodiodes?

Reverse bias can cause damage to a photodiode if the voltage applied is too high, as it can result in a reverse breakdown. Forward bias, on the other hand, can cause self-heating of the photodiode if the current flowing through is too high, which can affect its sensitivity and accuracy.