Difference between spin and polarisation?

In summary, "polarization" refers to a classical concept that is observed when discussing different types of waves, while "spin" is a quantum concept that is associated with the spin angular momentum of particles. The two are connected through the process of quantization, where classical waves are transformed into particles with spin, while the classical waves themselves have polarization states.
tozhan
can someone explain to me the difference between spin and polarisation?? someone told me they were the same thing and now I am getting confussed.

:confused:
Tom

Science news on Phys.org
It's simple."Polarization" is a classical concept,u meet it when discussing any form of waves:electromagnetic,mechanical (sound waves in solids for example),thermal,gravitational.The concept of "spin" is entirely quantum.In QM it is the ratio for the spin angular momentum and is denoted by "s" and can take only integer and semiinteger values;in QFT is the dimension of the irreductible (for 0 and 1/2)/reductible (for 1,3/2,2,...) representation of the restricted Lorentz group.The connection between the two notions is realized by quantizing each classical wave:the electromagnetic->photon,the gravitational->graviton,the sound waves and the thermal waves in solids->phonon.The particles (quanta) have "spin",while the classical waves have "polarization".The photon has spin +1 and has 2 possible spin states.The electromagnetic wave has 2 possible polarization states.

Daniel.

my, spin and polarisation are two different physical phenomena that are often confused with each other. Let me explain the difference between the two.

Spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a property that particles possess, just like mass and charge. Spin can be thought of as the particle's "spin" around its own axis. It is quantized, which means it can only take certain values, such as spin up or spin down. Spin plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics and is responsible for many phenomena, such as magnetism.

On the other hand, polarisation refers to the orientation of electric or magnetic fields in a wave. It is a property of waves, not particles. Polarisation can be linear, circular, or elliptical, depending on the orientation of the wave's electric or magnetic field. For example, light can be polarised in different ways, which affects how it interacts with matter.

So, in summary, spin is an intrinsic property of particles, while polarisation is a property of waves. They are two distinct concepts and should not be confused with each other. I hope this helps to clarify the difference between spin and polarisation.

Related to Difference between spin and polarisation?

1. What is the difference between spin and polarisation?

Spin and polarisation are two different properties of particles. Spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, while polarisation refers to the orientation of the electric field of a particle's electromagnetic wave.

2. Can particles have both spin and polarisation?

Yes, particles can have both spin and polarisation. For example, photons have spin and polarisation, as they are both particles and electromagnetic waves.

3. How are spin and polarisation related?

Spin and polarisation are related in that particles with spin can also have polarisation. The spin of a particle determines its angular momentum, which in turn affects its polarisation.

4. What is the significance of spin and polarisation in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin and polarisation play important roles in determining the behavior and properties of particles. They are also used in various experimental techniques and technologies, such as nuclear magnetic resonance and electron spin resonance.

5. Can spin and polarisation be measured?

Yes, both spin and polarisation can be measured through various experimental techniques. For example, spin can be measured using a Stern-Gerlach apparatus, while polarisation can be measured using polarimeters or interferometers.