Difference between Vav and Vrms

In summary, the problem involves finding the resistance of a wire given the average power generated in a rotating coil with 50 turns and an area of 0.02m2 in a magnetic field of 0.4T at a frequency of 60Hz. After attempting a solution using the equation E = dNBA/dt, the correct answer of 227Ω is found using the equation E = ωBAsinωt and integrating over the whole cycle rather than just a quarter cycle. The previous calculation only resulted in the average voltage, which is not a meaningful value for this problem.
Timothy Teo

Homework Statement

[/B]
I encountered this problem during my exam. A coil of 50 turns, each with area 0.02m2 is rotated in a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.4T. The coil is rotated at a frequency of 60Hz. Given the average power generated is 50W, what is the resistance of the wire?

Homework Equations

[/B]
E = dΦb/dt
P = E2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
E = dNBA/dt = 50*0.4*0.02/(1/60*1/4) = 96V

(1/60 * 1/4 is the time taken when magnetic flux through the coil is max to zero)

R = 962/50 = 184Ω

However, the correct answer is 227Ω. As the prof had another class to teach, i could not ask him about it. My friend who got the answer said to use another formula: E = ωBAsinωt because Vav is different from Vrms.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Timothy Teo said:
because Vav is different from Vrms.
Quite so. In fact, you did not really calculate Vav. You only considered the change in area over one quarter cycle. Had you done the same calculation over a full cycle you would have got zero.

The energy in each interval dt is V2dt/R, so that is what needs to be integrated.

haruspex said:
The energy in each interval dt is V2dt/R, so that is what needs to be integrated.

if i calculate the change in flux over 1/4 cycle and divide by 1/4 of the period, don't i get Vav?

Timothy Teo said:
if i calculate the change in flux over 1/4 cycle and divide by 1/4 of the period, don't i get Vav?
No. As already stated, Vav = 0.

Timothy Teo said:
You do get some kind of average voltage, but it is not of any great interest. The value will depend on which quarter cycle. E.g. try the quarter cycle from -π/8 to +3π/8. And it will tell you nothing about the average power.

Orodruin said:
No. As already stated, Vav = 0.
Vav over the whole cycle is 0, that i understand. Then what exactly have i calculated?

haruspex said:
You do get some kind of average voltage, but it is not of any great interest.
Because V is a sinusoidal function, each of the 4 quarters have the same area right? So if i integrate each quarter individually i should be able to get V over the whole cycle?

Timothy Teo said:
Because V is a sinusoidal function, each of the 4 quarters have the same area right? So if i integrate each quarter individually i should be able to get V over the whole cycle?
Yes, but for half the cycle V is negative. You could take the absolute value, but as I posted it is not very meaningful. The energy over the whole cycle is ##\int_0^T \frac{V(t)^2}R.dt##, not ##\frac{(\int_0^T |V(t)|.dt)^2}{TR}##,

Likes Delta2 and Timothy Teo

1. What is the difference between Vav and Vrms?

Vav and Vrms are both measures of voltage. Vav stands for average voltage and Vrms stands for root mean square voltage. They are calculated differently and represent different aspects of voltage.

2. How is Vav calculated?

Vav is calculated by finding the average of the absolute values of a voltage signal over a given period of time. This means that it takes into account both positive and negative values of the signal.

3. How is Vrms calculated?

Vrms is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared values of a voltage signal over a given period of time. This means that it takes into account the magnitude of the signal, rather than just the positive and negative values.

4. Which is a more accurate measure of voltage, Vav or Vrms?

Vrms is a more accurate measure of voltage because it takes into account the varying magnitudes of the signal. Vav can be misleading in cases where there are large spikes or dips in the signal.

5. In what situations would Vav be a more useful measure of voltage?

Vav would be a more useful measure of voltage in situations where the signal is relatively steady and does not have large variations in magnitude. It can also be useful for comparing signals with different frequencies or waveforms.