Differences between Computer engineering and Computer Science?

In summary, the main differences between computer engineering and computer science are that computer engineers focus on building and designing hardware and systems, while computer scientists study computation in an abstract sense and focus on theory and programming languages. In Europe/Italy, there may be different terminology for these majors. To get a better idea of the specific courses and curriculum, it would be helpful to look at the course lists for each major at nearby universities. The term "computer science" is common in the US and typically includes a mix of software classes and computational theory and math classes. "Computer engineering" is a more vague term and may refer to a 2-year Community College degree or have different meanings to different people. Some universities offer a combined degree in Electrical Engineering and
Jaeusm said:
Computer engineering is half computer science and half electrical engineering. If nothing in electrical engineering interests you, choose computer science.
I don't know if I want "only" code all my life.
In this period I'm impressed by what AI can do, especially in the medical fields, there are robots that can make diagnosis in less then 1 minutes, comparing thousands of clinical cases.
I like also stuff like self-driving car.
Baby for this kind of job is better a major in CE.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok let's look at the self driving car, because I've done some work with that, both professionally and academically. I was also 6 credits short of being both an EE and CPE (im an EE). Professionally I've acted as both an electrical and computer engineer. Remember that computer engineering is really just a subset of both electrical engineering and computer science.

At a generic level)
controls engineers (EE or ME usually) would design the control laws for simulating how the car would move. They would also work with sensor fusion engineers, which is a combo of controls, signal processing, and electrical (EE, CPE and CS usually ). They would work with the software team to actually implement their algorithm on a real computing system so it will work outside of simulations (CS, CPE, and some EE). In parallel engineers would design the physical hardware necessary to make the system work (EE and ME). They would also design the electrical hardware to make it work (EE and CPE).

That's just R&D. There is another level for production, which is just as diverse. My team at grad school had 2 MEs, 1 EE, and 1 CS major.

I know people that majored in electrical engineering that are now pure software guys. I know people that majored in software that work on hardware.
You need to accept the fact that you don't have any idea at this point what engineering is or if you will even like it. Pick something you think you'll like and dive in. worse case you switch majors. EE, CPE, and CS are all close enough that the skills you will develop will compliment the other majors.

You say you don't know if you only want to code, but have you ever actually wrote code? Have you ever actually worked on hardware?

donpacino said:
At a generic level)
controls engineers (EE or ME usually) would design the control laws for simulating how the car would move. They would also work with sensor fusion engineers, which is a combo of controls, signal processing, and electrical (EE, CPE and CS usually ). They would work with the software team to actually implement their algorithm on a real computing system so it will work outside of simulations (CS, CPE, and some EE). In parallel engineers would design the physical hardware necessary to make the system work (EE and ME). They would also design the electrical hardware to make it work (EE and CPE).
Behind such a great technology there is always a team?

donpacino said:
I know people that majored in electrical engineering that are now pure software guys. I know people that majored in software that work on hardware.
I know that this is possible, but my preoccupation is about not having the necessary skills, I mean, if I get a CE major, how can I compete with a CS?
He will know more then me about how to code.
The same with a electronic engineering, he will know better then me how to creare hardware architecture.

donpacino said:
You say you don't know if you only want to code, but have you ever actually wrote code? Have you ever actually worked on hardware?
I never worked on hardware, because I don't know where to start, I don't thing I have the necessary tools.
I just tried to code on my self, because we don't have computer science courses at schools, so I use my pc.

There are skills that only a computer engineers has?
There are law that says that only computer engineers can do "something", like only civil engineers can build houses ?

Thanks.

Hi guys, due to the fact that CE is a very new field, does exist the risk of being overqualiticated in a great part of job offers?
I mean, if a company look for someone that is a physicist or a mathematician, or a computer engineering for the same job, there isn't the risk of doing something that requires only a bachelor's degree and few advances skills?

Can this slow down the carrier of a CE?

Thanks.

P.S. I also heard that master degree in CS is not very useful because it only teach new languages that are not very requested and that can also be learned by ourself, it is true?

fresh_42 said:
The mechanics who knows how to grind your head gasket works on the lower
If a mechanic told you he needed to grind your head gasket, my advice is to find a new mechanic. :oldsurprised:

fresh_42 said:
worked with someone who studied philosophy and managed the company's network.

Grands said:
I can assure you that in Italy they won't find a work as a manager, at least the have to duty to speak and help people that work in the company and need motivational support.
As already said by another member, people generally don't get managerial jobs right out of college. If a person studied philosophy, and had a skill that the company needed, he or she might be hired by that company in some position. After a few years, that person might be promoted to a manager position.
I don't think I put much faith when you tell us "I can assure you ..." From your other posts, I take it that you are still in high school or possibly just starting university, and have never held a full-time job. So I don't think you have the experience to tell us how things work in the corporate world.

Grands said:
P.S. I also heard that master degree in CS is not very useful because it only teach new languages that are not very requested and that can also be learned by ourself, it is true?
Maybe true in Italy, but much less so in other countries. I worked in the software industry for 15 years. Having an advanced degree (either master's or PhD) in CS would be a plus in hiring.

Grands said:
I really don't know, a computer engineer told me that, saying me that a computer engineer coordinates a group of computer scientist that work on the same project, and each of them have to code a part of the program.Probably, this happens also in the US?Do you mean start with a program degree and end with another one, by doing something else during the master degree?
Grands, One may guess that you are interested in Computer Science.

Grands said:
The expression low level means that computer engineers work on stuff that is more easy and less complicated ?Does mechanical engineers works on electrical motors?
I didn't know that.I agree with that, but I think is't good to start by doing something we think it's useful.Generally I don't like to much to know only " a part of something", and choose "something in between".
The issue is that I still don't understand what are Computer engineers made for?

It's more easy to understand the civil engineers build houses, mechanical engineers create mechanical parts of a machine, electronic engineers design circuits and CPU, or staff li Nvidia or ATI, but I can't understand which is the field of a computer engineers.
A computer engineers is not able to code like a computer scientist but at the same time doesn't creates circuits like electronic engineers, it really can be just " something in between this two field"
In the US there are philosopher that are project manager?
In italy we have Marchionne that studied philosophy and now he is the manager of Fiat, but he get also a degree in Law at new York and also an MBA.Are you a computer scientist?
Grand, I believe you are interested in Computer Science.
I knew someone who earned an undergraduate degree in Philosophy and also something like Masters degree in Mathematics and was a high school Mathematics teacher.

Mark44 said:
Maybe true in Italy, but much less so in other countries. I worked in the software industry for 15 years. Having an advanced degree (either master's or PhD) in CS would be a plus in hiring.
This is something good to hear.

symbolipoint said:
Why?

symbolipoint said:

Grands said:
Why?
Based on your preferences to @donpacino's post #27; namely driver software and high-level algorithms.

Likes symbolipoint
Mark44 said:
Based on your preferences to @donpacino's post #27; namely driver software and high-level algorithms.
I said this because all argument I tried to learn on my own, how can I say if i like hardware if I never tried to work on?

Mark44 said:
Grands said:
I said this because all argument I tried to learn on my own, how can I say if i like hardware if I never tried to work on?
Grand, I gave some quotes that I used for making my suggestion. I am trying to help.

Likes Grands
I have another question.
Is Computer Engineering orientated more on the industrial side then Computer Science?
Are computer engineers involved more in the industrial manufacturing then computer scientists ?