Looking to transition from data science to computational physics

In summary, a data scientist in their late twenties is interested in pursuing a joint degree in physics and computer science or a general physics degree in the UK, while also looking for work as a computational physicist. They are wondering about the career prospects for computational physicists in the UK compared to their US counterparts, as well as where to look for industrial placements. However, it is noted that most jobs for physicists require a PhD and that entry-level positions are usually filled by graduate students or industry interns. Overall, this plan may not be very promising.
plaguedbyfoibles
In my late twenties, currently working as a data scientist in the UK, looking to sit A level maths, further maths and physics as a private candidate (not going through a distance learning provider) and pursue a joint degree in physics and computer science (which I know both St Andrews and Edinburgh offer), or a general physics degree, and seek work as a computational physicist.

Anyone know what career prospects are like for those seeking work as computational physicists in the UK and where I can look to for industrial placements?

Are the career prospects better for their US counterparts? I have a friend who studied computational physics and now works as a postdoctoral associate at MIT, and he said that for the national laboratories in the US, at the very least you need to be educated to undergraduate level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I don't see any jobs for "physicist" anywhere that don't require a PhD. A BS might get you a job as some sort of lab technician or the computational equivalent, but "computational physicist" implies many, many more years of education.

Vanadium 50 said:
job as some sort of lab technician or the computational equivalent
And usually that is what graduate students (or "interns" in industry) are doing for very low wage cost.
I concur that this plan does not sound very promising.

So, what has happened during the intervening period?

plaguedbyfoibles said:
I have a friend who studied computational physics and now works as a postdoctoral associate at MIT
That implies a PhD.

National labs employ statisticians, mathematicians, physicists (both theoretical and applied), and engineers of various disciplines and data scientists. Some are computational physicists, who often work with data scientists, and usually, there are teams of folks from various disciplines tackling complex problems.

For a computational scientist, it would help to have a solid background in some aspect of physics (condensed matter physics) or chemistry, and/or materials science.

Likes DeBangis21

1. What skills are transferable from data science to computational physics?

Many skills from data science are transferable to computational physics, including programming languages such as Python and R, data analysis and visualization techniques, and statistical analysis methods.

2. How does the role of a data scientist differ from that of a computational physicist?

Data scientists focus on extracting insights and patterns from large datasets, while computational physicists use mathematical models and computer simulations to study physical phenomena. However, both roles involve a strong background in mathematics and programming.

3. Are there any specific courses or certifications recommended for transitioning from data science to computational physics?

It is recommended to take courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science, as well as specific courses in computational physics or scientific computing. Certifications in data science, such as the Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) or the Cloudera Certified Professional (CCP), may also be beneficial.

4. How can I gain hands-on experience in computational physics?

One way to gain hands-on experience is to participate in research projects or internships in computational physics. You can also work on personal projects or participate in online coding challenges and competitions to sharpen your skills.

5. What job opportunities are available for those with a background in both data science and computational physics?

There are various job opportunities for individuals with a background in both data science and computational physics, including roles in research and development, data analysis, and machine learning. Some specific job titles may include quantitative analyst, data scientist, or computational physicist.