[Aerodynamics] Bernoulli's equation and Pressure Coefficient

In summary: So yeah, looks like it's just a screwed up example. In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of pressure coefficient, Bernoulli's equation, and its application to calculate velocity at a point. The problem in question is overdefined, leading to incorrect results and the possibility of an error in the textbook.
Leo Liu
We know that the definition of the pressure coefficient is $$C_p=\frac{p-p_\infty}{q_\infty}$$, where ##p## is the pressure at a point, ##p_\infty## is the ambient pressure (free-stream), and ##q_\infty## is the free-stream dynamic pressure.
We also know that the Bernoulli's equation is $$p_\infty+q_\infty=p+\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2$$
Let's assume the Mach number is below 0.3 so that the flow is incompressible. I can derive the following expression from the Bernoulli's equation:
$$C_p=\frac{p-p_\infty}{q_\infty}=1-\left(\frac{v}{v_\infty}\right)^2$$
This allows me to calculate the velocity at a point from the free-stream velocity and the pressure coefficient at that point, even if the pressure and air density is not explicitly provided.

However, when my friend tried to use the formula above to solve the problem below, he got 107 rather than 87.3.
Image:

My question is why my equation produced a different answer than the official solution. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem here is that they've overdefined the problem. If the freestream velocity is 80m/s, and there's a point locally on the wing that has a local velocity of 110 m/s (and assuming the flow can reasonably be treated as incompressible), that point should have a cp of -0.89, not -1.5. You're also correct that for a cp of -0.8, the velocity should be 107ish. The only way for a point to have a local velocity of 110m/s and a cp of -1.5 is for the freestream to be 69.5m/s, not 80.

Amusingly though, they didn't even do the problem correctly for this alternate case. If we assume the 110m/s and -1.5 to correctly define the conditions and the 80m/s in in error, that would mean a velocity of a hair over 93 m/s for the point at -0.8, not 87.

It's worth noting that their final equation is correct, their problem is just using inconsistent input data. If you know freestream velocity and local pressure coefficient, you already have enough info to determine local velocity as well (assuming incompressibility holds). It's just that they're plugging in impossible values.

EDIT: Also, tagging @boneh3ad just in case I missed something dumb here (I've been tired all day and have been in a massive brain fog). I really can't see how the problem works as stated though.

Last edited:
Likes Leo Liu
Assuming this is from a textbook, there's a good chance they published solutions for a new edition without updating it with new inputs. Publishers are terrible about that in their solutions manuals.

Likes Leo Liu
boneh3ad said:
Assuming this is from a textbook, there's a good chance they published solutions for a new edition without updating it with new inputs. Publishers are terrible about that in their solutions manuals.
Yes I took this question from a textbook (Intro. to Flight by Anderson), but I don't think its solution manual is relevant here because this is an example question.

Interesting. I just checked my copy of Anderson (6th ed, copyright 2008) and the error is present in mine too (I guess we never noticed it in class or when I was studying since I don't have any notes about it in the margins or anything). It's example 5.10 on page 284 in my edition vs example 5.15 in yours, but the inconsistent given numbers and incorrect resulting solution are all identical.

Likes Leo Liu

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and how does it relate to aerodynamics?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of airfoils and wings in aerodynamics.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation applied in the study of aerodynamics?

In aerodynamics, Bernoulli's equation is used to explain the lift force generated by airfoils and wings. As air flows over the curved surface of an airfoil, the velocity of the air increases on the upper surface, causing a decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's equation. This creates a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces, resulting in a net upward force known as lift.

3. What is the pressure coefficient and how is it calculated?

The pressure coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the pressure distribution on a surface, such as an airfoil. It is calculated by dividing the difference between the local pressure and the free-stream pressure by the dynamic pressure of the flow. This value is often used to analyze and compare the aerodynamic performance of different airfoils and wings.

4. How does the pressure coefficient vary along the surface of an airfoil?

The pressure coefficient varies along the surface of an airfoil due to the changing velocity and curvature of the flow. On the upper surface, where the velocity is higher, the pressure coefficient is lower, indicating a region of low pressure. On the lower surface, where the velocity is lower, the pressure coefficient is higher, indicating a region of high pressure. This pressure difference creates the lift force on the airfoil.

5. Can Bernoulli's equation and the pressure coefficient be applied to all types of aerodynamic flows?

No, Bernoulli's equation and the pressure coefficient are only applicable to incompressible, inviscid flows. This means that they cannot accurately describe the behavior of air in high-speed or turbulent flows. In these cases, more complex equations and models must be used to analyze aerodynamic forces.