Different forms of Stokes' theorem

• Thread starter MatinSAR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Find the different forms using ##\vec V=\vec a \phi## and ##\vec V=\vec a \times \vec P## for constant ##\vec a##.
Relevant Equations
Stokes' theorem.
What am I trying to do for ##\vec V=\vec a \phi## :
##R.H.S= \oint \vec V \cdot d \vec \lambda=\oint \vec a \phi \cdot d \vec \lambda=\vec a \cdot \oint \phi d \vec \lambda ##

##L.H.S= \iint_S \vec \nabla \times \vec V \cdot \vec d \sigma=\iint_S \vec \nabla \times (\vec a \phi) \cdot \vec d \sigma=\iint_S (\phi \vec \nabla \times \vec a + (\vec \nabla \phi) \times \vec a) \cdot \vec d \sigma= ?##
I think ##\phi \vec \nabla \times \vec a + (\vec \nabla \phi) \times \vec a## should be 0. why is this wrong?

##\phi \vec \nabla \times \vec a## is 0 because ##\vec a## is a constant vector.
##(\vec \nabla \phi) \times \vec a## is 0 because ##\vec \nabla## acts on both ##\phi## and ##\vec a## so it should be zero.

Edit:
Now I think ##(\vec \nabla \phi) \times \vec a## is not 0 because ##\vec \nabla## acts only on ##\phi## so we can rewrite it as ##- \vec a \times (\vec \nabla \phi).##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MatinSAR said:
Now I think ##(\vec \nabla \phi) \times \vec a## is not 0 because ##\vec \nabla## acts only on ##\phi## so we can rewrite it as ##\vec a \times (\vec \nabla \phi).##
Right.

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Right.
Thanks for the reply @haruspex .
##L.H.S= \iint_S \vec \nabla \times \vec V \cdot d \vec \sigma=\iint_S \vec \nabla \times (\vec a \phi) \cdot d \vec \sigma=\iint_S (\phi \vec \nabla \times \vec a + (\vec \nabla \phi) \times \vec a) \cdot d \vec \sigma=##
##- \iint_S \vec a \times (\vec \nabla \phi) \cdot d \vec \sigma=- \iint_S \vec a \cdot (\vec \nabla \phi) \times d \vec \sigma=\vec a \cdot \iint_S d \vec \sigma \times (\vec \nabla \phi) ##
L.H.S = R.H.S
##\vec a \cdot \iint_S d \vec \sigma \times (\vec \nabla \phi) = \vec a \cdot \oint \phi d \vec \lambda ##
##\iint_S d \vec \sigma \times (\vec \nabla \phi) = \oint \phi d \vec \lambda##

I hope I won't have problem with other part. (##\vec V=\vec a \times \vec P##)

I've managed to prove 2nd part using what I've learnt here : https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/vector-operators-grad-div-and-curl.1057533/

But I'm not sure if my proof is mathematically true or it is nonsense. Picture of my work:
2023_12_23 3_15 PM Office Lens.jpg

I would be grateful if someone could point out the problem with my proof.

What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of the curl of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface.

What are the different forms of Stokes' theorem?

There are two main forms of Stokes' theorem: the classical form, which relates the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the surface enclosed by the curve, and the differential form, which generalizes the classical form to higher dimensions and is expressed in terms of differential forms.

How do you apply Stokes' theorem in practice?

To apply Stokes' theorem in practice, you first need to identify a vector field and a surface or curve over which you want to calculate integrals. Then, you can use the appropriate form of Stokes' theorem to relate the line integral to the surface integral or vice versa, depending on the problem you are trying to solve.

What are the key concepts involved in understanding Stokes' theorem?

Key concepts involved in understanding Stokes' theorem include vector fields, curls, line integrals, surface integrals, boundaries, and orientations of surfaces and curves. Understanding these concepts is crucial for applying Stokes' theorem effectively in various mathematical and physical contexts.

What are some real-world applications of Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem has numerous real-world applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it is used in fluid dynamics to analyze the circulation of fluid flow around closed curves, in electromagnetism to calculate electromagnetic fields and potentials, and in differential geometry to study the curvature of surfaces and manifolds.