Different type of solenoid design help

In summary, Juan Motta is a beginner in physics and is planning to build a solenoid with a different shape. He has questions about estimating the gauss from this type of solenoid and is not familiar with the formulas given in the forum. There is a well-known formula for estimating the approximately constant field inside the solenoid, but it may require integrations if the coil is not long compared to its width. Juan is unsure about how to calculate the radius and is struggling with understanding Amperes law and Biot-Savart.
JuanMotta
Hi my name is Juan Motta and i´m new in this forum, I`m a total begginer in physics. I´m planning to build a solenoid (air coil or iron coil, i don´t know) with different form, like this:

http://www.divshare.com/img/thumb/19310413-b22.jpg

And i have some cuestions about, because i have some formulas from this forum but they are applicable with a cylinder form, how can i estimate the gauss from this type of solenoid?

Thanks and sorry about my english

Juan Motta

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean what "gauss", the magnetic flux density varies from place to place.
If you are referring to the approximately constant field inside the solenoid, there is a well known formula for it.

Sorry... and "Yes" is the approximately constant field inside the solenoid, but i don´t know how can i estimate in this type of shape because is not a cylinder...

As long as the coil length is much larger than the "width", the shape should not be important. Just use the formula for cylindrical coils. If the coil is not long compared to the width, you will need integrations to calculate it (probably numerically).

Yes, the coil is not long, is short, so integrations for the for calculate the radius?... I think I'm very far to get to know that...

Look into amperes law, the field can be quite difficult to find for current densities without good symmetry

You cannot use Amperes law (no straight wire of infinite length), you need Biot-Savart to calculate the magnetic field.

thank you for all your answers

1. What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. This magnetic field can be used to move a plunger or armature, creating motion or force.

2. What are the different types of solenoid designs?

There are many different types of solenoid designs, including linear solenoids, rotary solenoids, and push-pull solenoids. Each type has a unique design that is best suited for specific applications.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a solenoid design?

When choosing a solenoid design, factors such as the required force or motion, the size and weight constraints, and the operating environment should be considered. It is also important to consider the power source and control mechanism for the solenoid.

4. Are there any common issues or challenges with solenoid designs?

Some common issues with solenoid designs include overheating, noise, and wear and tear. It is important to choose a solenoid with appropriate specifications and to properly maintain and care for it to avoid these issues.

5. Can a solenoid design be customized for a specific application?

Yes, solenoids can be customized for specific applications by adjusting factors such as the wire gauge, number of turns, and core material. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure the design is appropriate and safe for the intended use.