Different types of hyperbolas and their properties

In summary: You are not asked for the equation, only the length.You can see from @BvU's beautiful sketch that it's the closest approach to the origin.
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
The question along the answer is given in the attachments. What I seek is the explanation.
Relevant Equations
---not sure---
I know the hyperbola of the form x^2/a^2-y^2/b^2=1 and xy=c; but coming across this question I'm put in a dilemma of how to proceed with calculating anything of it - say eccentricity or latus rectum or transverse axis as said. How to generalize a hyperbola (but i don't want a complex derivation of hyperbolas because that's out of my understanding, i want to get across these questions; teach me the fundamentals) and find it's different values or parameters?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 285
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Gourab_chill said:
but i don't want a complex derivation of hyperbolas
Fair enough. So no references like this :smile: ?
In that case you can fall back to a very useful action: make a sketch like I did:

1588336755973.png

Blue is your hyperbola, red is the asymptotes and on the brown line is the transverse axis.

With such a nice :cool: sketch it is clear what you need to do to calculate the required value !

--

Other approach: calculus.

Last edited:
Likes Gourab_chill
@BvU looks neat; but here is the problem how do I know what is the equation of the transverse axis? And how do I calculate the quantities like eccentricity, latus rectum length? What should be my approach?

Gourab_chill said:
equation of the transverse axis
You know the equations of the asymptotes

And I admit the others are beyond my recollection (if I even ever encountered them). Will you look them up or should we do that for you :wink: ?

However, might be there's no escaping
Gourab_chill said:
complex derivation
then :nb)

Ok so I will give you a hint.You shall proceed further.Since the given equation contains xy term,therefore it is clear that the hyperbola has been rotated.
So to get back to the original form of hyperbola,substitute
X=xcosA+ysinA
Y=xcosA-ysinA
or any other substitution you prefer.
Now,you must be able to proceed further.

Likes Charles Link
Gourab_chill said:
how do I know what is the equation of the transverse axis?
You are not asked for the equation, only the length.
You can see from @BvU's beautiful sketch that it's the closest approach to the origin. Just a little calculus...

@Gourab_chill : did you find the asymptote equations ? Then you can also find the line for the transverse axis and then finding the marked point doesn't even require any calculus !

1588423220596.png

haruspex said:
beautiful sketch
:blushing: too much credit -- just Excel

Physics lover said:
Ok so I will give you a hint.You shall proceed further.Since the given equation contains xy term,therefore it is clear that the hyperbola has been rotated.
X=xcosA+ysinA
Y=xcosA-ysinA
Is this not the correct way @haruspex @BvU

Likes Charles Link
Physics lover said:
Physics lover said:
X=xcosA+ysinA
Y=xcosA-ysinA
Not quite.

Change the equation for Y. The pair of equations becomes:

##X=x\cos A+y\sin A##
##Y=y\cos A-x\sin A##

Perhaps this is what you intended.

BvU said:
Then you can also find the line for the transverse axis

The brown line is a bit too suggestive, going through ##(1,-0.5)##.

View attachment 261931

The green dash-dot lines represent the correct axes:

1588449399871.png

So you'll need an intersection of the green line and the hyperbola.

Not by coincidence the slope of that green line is ##\ -\tan(A)\ ## in @SammyS post #9

Likes Gourab_chill and SammyS
Physics lover said:
There is no one correct way. Even what is the easiest way may depend on what the solver is most comfortable with.
To me, what I outlined in post #6 seemed easier than figuring out the rotation.

Likes Physics lover and BvU
SammyS said:
Not quite.

Change the equation for Y. The pair of equations becomes:

##X=x\cos A+y\sin A##
##Y=y\cos A-x\sin A##

Perhaps this is what you intended.
yes.That was a typo.Sorry for that.

Likes Charles Link
Physics lover said:
yes.That was a typo.Sorry for that.
@Physics lover Your post is a good one. Especially for the case of ## xy=1##, the best way of looking at it IMO is the rotation of axes by 45 degrees which does put it in the standard form: ##\frac{x'^2}{a^2}-\frac{y'^2}{b^2}=1 ##, with ##a=b=\sqrt{2} ##. ## \\ ## Without this result, someone might think that there are different types of hyperbolas. I believe they can all be put in the standard form with the necessary rotation and/or translation.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
@Physics lover Your post is a good one. Especially for the case of ## xy=1##, the best way of looking at it IMO is the rotation of axes by 45 degrees which does put it in the standard form: ##\frac{x'^2}{a^2}-\frac{y'^2}{b^2}=1 ##, with ##a=b=\sqrt{2} ##. ## \\ ## Without this result, someone might think that there are different types of hyperbolas. I believe they can all be put in the standard form with the necessary rotation and/or translation.
I still favour
##x^2+y^2=2x^2-2+\frac 1{x^2}=2u-2+\frac 1u##, where u=x2.
Then it is just a matter of finding the minimum of that and taking the square root.

Likes Charles Link
haruspex said:
I still favour
##x^2+y^2=2x^2-2+\frac 1{x^2}=2u-2+\frac 1u##, where u=x2.
Then it is just a matter of finding the minimum of that and taking the square root.
@haruspex Yes, your way is easier, but I successfully worked it by considering the rotation. It took a little work to get the answer given by the OP, but I got it.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The rotation is 22.5° .

SammyS said:
The rotation is 22.5° .
I think @Charles Link was just applying it to the example of xy=1, not the hyperbola in the question.

haruspex said:
I think @Charles Link was just applying it to the example of xy=1, not the hyperbola in the question.
@Charles Link showed a way of solution for the problem in the OP. And the hyperbola is really rotated by 22.5 degrees clockwise with respect to a hyperbola of standard from x2/a2-y2/b2=1

ehild said:
@Charles Link showed a way of solution for the problem in the OP. And the hyperbola is really rotated by 22.5 degrees clockwise with respect to a hyperbola of standard from x2/a2-y2/b2=1
Yes, the green line in the picture in #10.

I was surprised that the tangent of ##\pi/8## has a value ##\ \sqrt2 - 1 \ ## (wasn't in my dusty brain archive :biggrin:)

In our enthousiasm, have we lost @Gourab_chill ? What's the status with you ?

https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/hyperbola.html

Likes SammyS and Charles Link
ehild said:
That's not how I read Charles' post.
He endorsed the rotation method, but then illustrated it for a different hyperbola, xy=1, for which the rotation is 45°. @SammyS seems to have misread this as saying that the rotation in the thread problem is 45°. But we might have to wait for Charles to confirm or deny.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
BvU said:
I was surprised that the tangent of ##\pi/8## has a value ##\ \sqrt2 - 1 \ ## (wasn't in my dusty brain archive :biggrin:)
But your brain archive
1588590717273.png
certainly has sin, cos or tan of ##\pi/4## and you can derive ##\tan(\pi/8)## easily from the double angle formula
$$\tan(\pi/4)=\frac{2\tan(\pi/8)}{1-\tan^2(\pi/8)}=1$$
or the half-angle formulas
$$\sin(\pi/8)=\sqrt{\frac{1-\cos(\pi/4)}{2}}$$ and
$$\cos(\pi/8)=\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos(\pi/4)}{2}}$$ :smile:

Likes Charles Link and BvU
haruspex said:
That's not how I read Charles' post.
He endorsed the rotation method, but then illustrated it for a different hyperbola, xy=1, for which the rotation is 45°. @SammyS seems to have misread this as saying that the rotation in the thread problem is 45°. But we might have to wait for Sammy to confirm or deny.
When I first did my post responding to @Physics lover and showed the case of ## xy=1 ##, (and 45 degree rotation), I hadn't yet read the thread carefully enough to see the OP had an attachment that contained the more complicated ## y=x-\frac{1}{x} ##. ## \\ ## I later solved the OP's problem, by computing ##\cos{\theta} ## so that the ## x'y' ## term vanishes, and then finding where the line ##y=(\tan{\theta})( x )## intersects the curve ##y=x-\frac{1}{x} ##, and finally computing the distance of that point from the origin. @haruspex does have a simpler solution.

Last edited:
BvU said:
The brown line is a bit too suggestive, going through ##(1,-0.5)##.

View attachment 261931

The green dash-dot lines represent the correct axes:

View attachment 261965

So you'll need an intersection of the green line and the hyperbola.

Not by coincidence the slope of that green line is ##\ -\tan(A)\ ## in @SammyS post #9
Based on above diagram, if equation of hyperbola is f(x), solve simultaneously:

y=f(x)
y=-x/f'(x)

ie: f(x) = -x/f'(x)

I think Haruspex went the same way (largely) (?)

You can solve ##y=f(x) ## and ##y=-tan(A) \, x ##, but
@haruspex assumes the graph originates from the origin. He takes the distance ## s ## as ## s^2=x^2+y^2 ## and cleverly substitutes for ## y ## with ## y=x-\frac{1}{x} ##, so that he has ##s^2 ## as a function of ## x ##, (see post 14). He then minimizes ## s^2 ##, obtaining the value for ##x ## where the derivative is zero. Next, solve for ##y ##, and compute ## s ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
You can solve ##y=f(x) ## and ##y=-tan(A) \, x ##, but
@haruspex assumes the graph originates from the origin. He takes the distance ## s ## as ## s^2=x^2+y^2 ## and cleverly substitutes for ## y ## with ## y=x-\frac{1}{x} ##, so that he has ##s^2 ## as a function of ## x ##, (see post 14). He then minimizes ## s^2 ##, obtaining the value for ##x ## where the derivative is zero. Next, solve for ##y ##, and compute ## s ##.
Oh - ok. I am solving by assuming the minimized line passes through the origin and is perpendicular to the hyperbola.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
@haruspex assumes the graph originates from the origin.
I didn’t assume it, but neither did I include that part of the proof.
If you switch x to -x and y to -y in the equation for the curve you get the same equation back. Therefore it is symmetric about the origin.

Likes Charles Link and neilparker62
@neilparker62 For your method, (with the curve being perpendicular to the line), you can solve ##(f'(x))(-\tan(A))=-1 ##, which also gets a correct solution.

Likes neilparker62
Just an add-on to the "proof" (see post 26) by @haruspex . What follows is essentially the same thing, but it might make it easier to follow: ## \\## Let ##(x_{old}, y_{old} ) ## be a point on the curve. It satisfies ##y_{old}=x_{old}-\frac{1}{x_{old}} ##. ## \\ ## Let ## x_{new}=-x_{old} ##. We have the corresponding ## y_{new}=x_{new}-\frac{1}{x_{new}}=-x_{old}+\frac{1}{x_{old}}=-y_{old} ##, so that ## y_{new}=-y_{old} ##. Thereby, in general, if ## (x,y) ## is on the curve, ##(-x, -y) ## is also on the curve. (It may be a separate branch of the curve, but it's still the "curve"). ## \\ ## Getting the original equation with the substitution ## x=-x ## and ## y=-y ## is essentially the same thing, but the reader might find this alternative method to be useful.

Last edited:

1. What are the two types of hyperbolas?

The two types of hyperbolas are horizontal and vertical. A horizontal hyperbola has its transverse axis along the x-axis and its conjugate axis along the y-axis. A vertical hyperbola has its transverse axis along the y-axis and its conjugate axis along the x-axis.

2. What is the equation of a hyperbola?

The general equation of a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola, a is the distance from the center to the vertices on the transverse axis, and b is the distance from the center to the vertices on the conjugate axis.

3. What are the properties of a hyperbola?

Some properties of a hyperbola include: the distance from the center to the vertices on the transverse axis is equal to the distance from the center to the foci, the distance from the center to the vertices on the conjugate axis is equal to the distance from the center to the asymptotes, and the product of the distances from any point on the hyperbola to the two foci is constant.

4. How do you graph a hyperbola?

To graph a hyperbola, plot the center point and the vertices on the transverse and conjugate axes. Then, plot the foci and draw in the asymptotes passing through the center. Finally, sketch the curve connecting the vertices and asymptotes.

5. What are the applications of hyperbolas in real life?

Hyperbolas have many applications in real life, such as in satellite orbits, radio transmission, and telescope mirrors. They are also used in the design of parabolic reflectors, which are used in satellite dishes and solar cookers. Additionally, hyperbolas are used in economics to model supply and demand curves.