Different units while calculating Acceleration of Rotating Objects

In summary, the acceleration of a spinning object is the result of the Pythagorean theorem of the sides of centripetal acceleration (towards the rotation center) and tangential acceleration (perpendicular to centripetal acceleration). The units for these two accelerations are different, but since radians are adimensional (defined as meters per meter), the units cancel out evenly. Therefore, there is no difference implied by the fact that the radians cancel out different numbers of times for "equivalent" units.
magnetismman
Question on Acceleration of Rotating Objects:

The Physics Textbook I have says that the Acceleration of a spinning object is the Pythagorean-theorum result of sides for Centripetal-Acceleration (toward the rotation center) and Tangential-Acceleration (perpendicular to Centripetal-Acceleration in the direction of movement). It seemed pretty straight-forward, until I got to calculating each. According to the book:

Centripetal-Acceleration – ac :
Is either:
(1) Tangential-Velocity squared, over radius OR
(2) Angular-Velocity squared, times radius.

Tangential Acceleration – at :
Radius * Angular-Acceleration.

The problem I think I've found is in the units for each.

For Centripetal-Acceleration:
Tangential-Velocity = radius * angular-velocity (meter-radians-per-second)
Radius is a base unit (meters)
...so Tangential-Velocity squared, over radius has the unit:
(radian-radian-meters-per-second-per-second)
Please note, I did get a “Domain of result may be larger” warning from my calculator.

For Tangential-Acceleration:
Angular-Acceleration = Angular-Velocity-Change per second (Radians-per-second-per-second)
Radius is a base unit (meters)
...so Radius times Angular-Acceleration has the unit:
(radian-meters-per-second-per-second)

How can the two be combined for a total rotational-acceleration if the units are different?

Centripetal-Acceleration (ac): (radians2*meters / second2)
Tangential-Acceleration (at): (radians*meters / second2)

Since the units are different, the combined acceleration would be in neither unit.
Is this a flaw in the theory?
Is this some flaw in my reasoning?
Thank you for your advice.

Information-Source: Cutnell&Johnson - 'Physics' 6th Edition (Chapter 8) – ISBN:0-471-15183-1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
radians aren't physical units. Strictly speaking an angle is defined as an arch (measured in meters) divided by a radius (measured in meters), giving you the identity 1 radian = 1 meter/meter = 1. That means radians are adimensional. That's why the units (meter-radians-per-second) that you obtained for the tangential velocity may also be expressed as the more familiar (meters-per-second).

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
radians are adimensional.

Thank you. So am I to understand that since a radian is a meter-per-meter, the units cancel evenly? If so, is there any difference implied by the fact that the radians (meters-per-meter) cancel out different numbers of times for 'equivalent' units? Thanks again.

magnetismman said:
Thank you. So am I to understand that since a radian is a meter-per-meter, the units cancel evenly?
Yes.
If so, is there any difference implied by the fact that the radians (meters-per-meter) cancel out different numbers of times for 'equivalent' units? Thanks again.
No, no difference.

Likes 1 person
The important thing about radians here is that they are lexactly "meters per meter". If you measured the angular velocity in degrees per second, or revolutions per minute, you would have an extra factor in the formulas, just like if you measured velocity in miles per hour but distance in meters.

In real life angular velocities are often measured in RPM etc, so you have to convert them to radians/second before using the formulas.

Likes 1 person

What is the formula for calculating acceleration of rotating objects?

The formula for acceleration of rotating objects is a = αr, where a is the linear acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of rotation.

What are the units for acceleration of rotating objects?

The units for acceleration of rotating objects are typically expressed as m/s2 or rad/s2, depending on the type of acceleration being measured.

How do I convert from linear acceleration to angular acceleration?

To convert from linear acceleration to angular acceleration, you will need to know the radius of rotation. Then, you can use the formula α = a/r to calculate the angular acceleration.

Can I use different units for linear acceleration and angular acceleration?

Yes, you can use different units for linear acceleration and angular acceleration as long as they are consistent with the formula a = αr. For example, you could use m/s2 for linear acceleration and rad/s2 for angular acceleration.

What does the sign of acceleration of rotating objects indicate?

The sign of acceleration of rotating objects indicates the direction of the acceleration. A positive sign indicates that the object is accelerating in the same direction as its linear velocity, while a negative sign indicates that the object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its linear velocity.