Differentiable / continuous functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding an example of a function that is differentiable n times at 0 and discontinuous everywhere else. The function given is f(x)=xn for rational numbers and 0 for irrational numbers. There is a question about whether the function would still work if the order of the functions were inverted. The expert confirms that the function is differentiable and continuous except at a finite number of points.
jem05

Homework Statement

give an example of a function f: R --> R that is differentiable n times at 0, and discontinous everywhere else.

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

i got one, and i proved everything, i just want to make sure what i did is correct:

f:x n+1 when x is rational
0 when x is irrational

by the way, does the example hold if i invert them, that is 0 if rational and xn+1 if irrational?
(nothing changes right?)
thank you

oh, and x^n does not work, instead of x^n+1, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jem05 said:

Homework Statement

give an example of a function f: R --> R that is differentiable n times at 0, and discontinous everywhere else.

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

i got one, and i proved everything, i just want to make sure what i did is correct:

f:x n when x is rational
0 when x is irrational

btw, does the example hold if i invert them, that is 0 if rational and xn if irrational? (nothing changes right?)
thank you
Your function is differentiable (and hence continuous) everywhere on R, except at a finite number of points. Indeed, your function is differentiable on at least [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Differentiable / continuous functions

1. What is the definition of a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a function that has a defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that as you zoom in on any point on the function, the slope of the tangent line at that point exists and is unique. In other words, the rate of change of the function is well-defined at every point.

2. How is a differentiable function different from a continuous function?

A differentiable function is a subset of continuous functions. While all differentiable functions are also continuous, not all continuous functions are differentiable. A continuous function only requires that there are no breaks or gaps in the graph, while a differentiable function also requires that the rate of change is well-defined at every point.

3. What is the importance of differentiable functions in mathematics?

Differentiable functions are important because they allow us to model and analyze real-world phenomena using calculus. They also provide a way to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, which is useful in optimization problems. In addition, many physical laws and equations are described using differentiable functions.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, if a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. This is because the definition of a differentiable function requires that the function is continuous and has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

5. How do you determine if a function is differentiable?

To determine if a function is differentiable, you can use the definition of differentiability: if the derivative of the function exists and is unique at every point in its domain, then the function is differentiable. You can also use the rules for differentiating functions to check if the derivative exists at a given point.