Differentiable Function on an interval

In summary, if f(x) is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable in (a,b), and lim f'(x) = A as x goes to a, then f'(a) exists and equals A. This can be shown using the mean value theorem and the definitions of continuity and differentiability.
Punkyc7
Let f:[a,b][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]R be continuous on [a,b] and differentiable in (a,b). Show that if lim f'(x)=A as x goes to a then f'(a) exist and equals A.

So I was thinking this has to do either with the mean value theorem or Darboux's Theorem.

I have that
f(b)-f(a)=f'(c)(b-a) by the mean value theorem.

From here I stuck on how to get the x into the equation.
Would I say that let x=c.

Then we have
f'(x)=[itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex]=A

If so how would I work in the f'(a)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really comes down to the definitions of continuity and differentiability. They are asking you to show that:
if f(x) is continuous for all x [itex]\in[/itex] [a,b]
and if f(x) is differentiable for all x [itex]\in[/itex] (a,b)
and if lim f'(x) as x->a exists
then f'(a) exists
If the limit exists for all x0 ∈ (a, b) then f is said to be differentiable in the interval.
It is differentiable at the end points if the appropriate one-sided limits exists.
-http://www.math.ku.edu/~lerner/m500f09/Differentiability.pdf

f(x) is differentiable in the interval (a,b) and the one-sided limit as x->a of f'(x) exists, therefore f'(a) exists. If f'(a) exists, then f'(x) is differentiable at x=a. Differentiability implies continuity, and so f'(x) would also be continuous at x=a. If f'(x) is continuous at x=a, then you can say by the definition of continuity that:
[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x→a} f'(x) = f'(a) = A[/itex]

Last edited:
math man said:
It really comes down to the definitions of continuity and differentiability. They are asking you to show that:
if f(x) is continuous for all x [itex]\in[/itex] [a,b]
and if f(x) is differentiable for all x [itex]\in[/itex] (a,b)
and if lim f'(x) as x->a exists
then f'(a) exists

f(x) is differentiable in the interval (a,b) and the one-sided limit as x->a of f'(x) exists, therefore f'(a) exists. If f'(a) exists, then f'(x) is differentiable at x=a. Differentiability implies continuity, and so f'(x) would also be continuous at x=a. If f'(x) is continuous at x=a, then you can say by the definition of continuity that:
[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x→a} f'(x) = f'(a) = A[/itex]
"If f'(a) exists, then f'(x) is differentiable at x= a" That is, that f is twice differentiable at x= a? Why is that true?

It looks to me like the statement in the first post is not even true. Let f(x)= |x|. Then f is continuous for all x and so on [0, 1]. Further, f is differentiable in (0, 1)- its derivative is just 1 for all x in (0, 1). The limit of f'(x), as x goes to 0, is, of course, 1 but f is NOT differentable at x= 0.

Sorry, you are correct HallsofIvy. I don't know how I missed that. Well, at least the first part is correct, f'(a) exists. I guess the question then is does continuity and differentiability of f imply continuity of df/dx? I know that f(x) being differentiable alone doesn't necessarily prove it, but if f(x) is also continuous then I see no reason why df/dx is not continuous. I have googled it extensively with not much luck.

What about this...
[itex]f'(x) = \stackrel{lim}{s→x}\frac{f(s)-f(x)}{s-x}[/itex]

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x→a}f'(x)[/itex]
[itex]= \stackrel{lim}{(x→a)} \stackrel{lim}{(s→x)}\frac{f(s)-f(x)}{s-x}[/itex]
[itex]= \stackrel{lim}{s→a}\frac{f(s)-f(a)}{s-a} = f'(a)[/itex]

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x→a}f'(x) = f'(a) = A[/itex]

Related to Differentiable Function on an interval

1. What is a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a mathematical function that can be differentiated at every point within its domain. This means that the function has a well-defined derivative at each point, which describes the rate of change of the function at that point.

2. What is an interval in relation to a differentiable function?

In mathematics, an interval is a set of numbers between two given values. In the context of a differentiable function, an interval refers to the range of values for which the function is defined and can be differentiated.

3. How do you determine if a function is differentiable on an interval?

A function is differentiable on an interval if it is continuous on that interval and has a well-defined derivative at every point within the interval. This means that the function must have no breaks, jumps, or sharp corners within the interval, and the derivative must exist at every point within the interval.

4. What is the significance of a differentiable function on an interval?

A differentiable function on an interval is significant because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of the function at any point within the interval. This is useful in many applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering, where understanding the rate of change of a variable is crucial.

5. Can a function be differentiable on an open interval but not on a closed interval?

Yes, a function can be differentiable on an open interval but not on a closed interval. This means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point within the open interval, but there may be a break or discontinuity at one or both endpoints of the closed interval, making the derivative undefined at those points.