Differential cross-section divergence

In summary, the conversation is about the discrepancy in the differential cross-section for Rutherford scattering at \theta = 0. The reason for this is due to the fact that the electromagnetic force extends to infinity, making sense for the total cross-section but not for the differential cross-section. The formula mentioned is not the Rutherford formula, but rather the hard sphere scattering formula. The Rutherford formula is different and there is also mention of the optical theorem that relates the total cross section to the forward amplitude.
lonetomato
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain the troubling divergence here of the differential cross-section for rutherford scattering for [tex]\theta = 0[/tex]. I know it must have something to do with the fact that the em force extends to infinity, which makes sense to me for the [tex]total[/tex] cross section.. Why would the differential be 0 for [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] and not over all angles?

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} \theta = -\frac{b}{\sin \theta}\frac{db}{d\theta}[/tex]

Thanks..
Anna

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome on PF,

the formula
[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = \left|\frac{b}{\sin \theta}\left(\frac{db}{d\theta}\right)\right|[/tex]
is not the Rutherford formula. It is hard sphere scattering, and is merely geometrical.

Rutherford formula is
[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = \left(\frac{q_1q_2}{4E\sin^2 (\theta/2)}\right)^2[/tex]

I have no clue whether you are referring to the optical theorem which relates the total cross section to the forward amplitude.

Dear Anna,

The divergence in the differential cross-section for Rutherford scattering at \theta = 0 can be explained by the behavior of the electromagnetic force at very small angles. As you mentioned, the force extends to infinity, which means that at \theta = 0, the particles are extremely close to each other and experience a very strong repulsive force. This results in a very high scattering cross-section, which is represented by the singularity in the differential cross-section formula.

However, as the angle increases, the particles are further apart and the force decreases, leading to a decrease in the cross-section. This is reflected in the negative sign in the formula you provided, which represents the decreasing trend of the cross-section as the angle increases.

It is important to note that this divergence at \theta = 0 is a mathematical artifact and does not represent a physical phenomenon. In reality, the particles cannot be brought infinitely close together, and the singularity would be smoothed out by the finite size of the particles.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is differential cross-section divergence?

Differential cross-section divergence refers to the change in the cross-section of a beam of particles as it interacts with a target.

Why is differential cross-section divergence important in scientific research?

Differential cross-section divergence allows scientists to measure the probability of a particle interacting with a target, which is crucial in understanding the fundamental interactions between particles.

How is differential cross-section divergence calculated?

Differential cross-section divergence is calculated by dividing the number of particles scattered in a specific direction by the total number of particles in the beam and the solid angle of the detector.

What factors can affect differential cross-section divergence?

The energy and type of particles, the type of target material, and the angle of collision can all affect the differential cross-section divergence.

What is the significance of a large or small differential cross-section divergence value?

A large differential cross-section divergence value indicates a high probability of interaction between the particles and the target material, while a small value indicates a low probability. This information can provide insights into the nature of the particles and their interactions.